Long ago, I began to wonder something about Windemere. I know that’s strange since I created the place, so I should have an answer. Still, this was a headscratcher due to other fantasy series where demons, dragons, deities, and a variety of mortals existed. I saw that there was a missing species.
Why don’t I have an Angels in Windemere?
This lead to a few experiments:
- The first being to simply include an angel species to counter the demons. This didn’t work out very well. I realized that having them at war would consume all of their usage, so all demons would be stuck in this. The Hellfire Elf in Beginning of a Hero? Trapped in a war, so not much assassin work for him there. I couldn’t explain why the angels would turn up either beyond them reacting to any demon coming out of the Chaos Void. Why would mortals bother if it was nothing more than a whistle for angels to arrive? So, I junked that.
- The second was to ignore them completely and forget the question. Probably the best way to do it, but my mind wasn’t letting this happen.
- Angels are nothing more than lower gods and . . . I have the Law of Influence. That means they can’t get involved in mortal affairs, so there’s no point in them being anything other than gods.
- A special type of chosen champion for the gods! Then they’re not a species, but a title, which still leaves the gap in my world.
- Extinct? That could work!
So, #5 was what I kind of went with and left an opening for the possibility of angels appearing at some point.
The overall story is that Windemere began with 3 species created by Solar the First God before mortals were made by his children. They were the demons, dragons, and angels with them being evil, neutral, and good in that order. Seeing that he never had mortals to observe, he didn’t realize that working with extremes would lead to a mess. The neutral dragons stayed completely out of events unless provoked. They would later develop emotions thanks to alterations and evolution. Solar was fine with that, but his problem came from the other two.
Obviously, demons and angels didn’t get along. They fought all the time, but it was clear that the demons had the advantage. Being evil, they used all manner of tactics to win and kill, including sacrificing their own. Angels being pure good had limits and failed to develop an aggressive nature until it was too late. They were wiped out in one big surprise attack by the demons with there only being rumors of a few survivors. Nobody has ever seen one, which is why they fell into such an obscure legend that your average Windemere denizen never heard of them. For them, ‘angel’ is an old term for a loved one and a common first name that means pure and kind. The origin of it has been lost since mortals were created right after the massacre.
By the way, this is also why the demons aren’t allowed to live in Windemere. Solar banished them to the Chaos Void before going into his eternal slumber. Mortals find ways to bring them over through magic, but they are always tethered to their prison. Funny thing is that it’s among the demons and within the Chaos Void where someone would find evidence of the angels existing. Yet, who would even be driven to that since the species isn’t thought of that often?
I do have plans to include this in a series or two. One of which I’m not sure how to pull off since the mechanics don’t make sense any more. Maybe I’ll make a post about that on a Sunday in the future. I really should try to make some kind of story that involves the angels to reveal that side of Windemere. Will it be a revival of the species? I doubt I’d go that far, especially since I have it in my head that they would be really angry upon their return. Not sure if a being of pure good could be corrupted, but I can’t see them being nice and happy. Guess we’ll see what the future holds.
I think you have a lot of options, including ignoring them completely. Maybe they only help the downtrodden, one person at a time. This wouldn’t have to involve warfare at all. Maybe you could take the path of where the LOTR Orcs came from. Someone corrupts them into something new.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Corrupted angels have been done too much for my liking. I could feasibly ignore them like most fantasy stories, but I personally always found it odd that demons existed and not angels. Always thought they were opposing forces.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Interesting topic. In LOTR the Istari essentially were angels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_(Middle-earth)#:~:text=The%20Wizards%20or%20Istari%20in,Iluvatar%2C%20in%20the%20earlier%20ages ) . Will your angels be helpers of your gods?
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m thinking no because they would have shown up by now. The Law of Influence in Windemere would be wrecked too. Gods would just send angels to do everything instead of letting mortals function with the occasional nudge. I’m leaning heavily towards extinct species with maybe 1-2 survivors in hiding.
LikeLiked by 1 person