Questions 3: Chipping at the Writer’s Block

Woody and Buzz Lightyear

Woody and Buzz Lightyear

I’ve been holding off on this one because newer ideas kept showing up.  Yet I’ve seen a few posts this week about Writer’s Block.  The two words that frighten an author to the very ink in their veins.  By the way, you might want to see a doctor about that condition.  So, let’s move on with the questions:

1. What does Writer’s Block mean to you?
  2. Can you recall a time where you had Writer’s Block or feared that you did?
  3. What did you do to get over that obstacle?

This entry was posted in Questions 3 and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Questions 3: Chipping at the Writer’s Block

My thoughts:

1. What does Writer’s Block mean to you?
    I think of it as a mind hurdle. My mind tells me I lack the capacity to even write a sentence. But that’s really a fallacy. I just wrote three. So until I can come to grips with what exactly the issue is, I’ll still come up with zero on the page. Sometimes the issue is fear. I’m afraid I’m not good enough. Or the issue is anger. I’m pissed off at a rejection I just received.

2. Can you recall a time where you had Writer’s Block or feared that you did?
    Yes, I’ve had this several times. Recently even.

3. What did you do to get over that obstacle?
    Besides prayer? I gave myself permission to write something else for a while. I also worked on storyboarding. Approaching a scene from a new angle (drawing) really helped. I learned that watching the behind-the-scenes documentaries for the Star Wars movies. While I didn’t really like the prequels, I admire the world building of George Lucas and the team. Storyboarding played a huge part in the development of the stories.

Another thing I did was to open up a file I call “free writing.” In that file, I can write anything I want. What I wrote didn’t have to be “good” or even make sense. That was one way to blast past the hurdle of writer’s block.

Still another way that helped was to write by hand. Sometimes I interview myself in my notebook. I ask myself questions: “What do you hope to accomplish in this scene?” “Why doesn’t this make sense to you?” Writing questions helps me think past the blank space.

One of the most practical things I do when I’m stuck is to wash dishes, go for a walk, or a drive. I like being outside near trees, listening to birds.

• 1. Rejections can definitely be a major source of blockage. I agree with the doubt and fear issues. Those are the real killers.

3. Interesting list of techniques. A lot of them seem to deal with moving to another project. Let the subconscious handle the old issue and see if an answer pops up when you least expect it. Tends to be my method.

2. I always try to play along with these, but I don’t get writer’s block. I have ideas by the thousands. I’ve turned to micro fiction just to get rid of some of them. I’ll stall during the novels though. My middle slogs are like getting through a plague swamp at times, but I always know where I’m heading.

3. twixie13 says:

1) Writer’s Block tends to happen when my characters decide they’re no longer on speaking terms with me.
    2) I’ve had The Block a number of times. I can’t recall just how many, though.
    3) To get over it, I’ll usually draw, or take my dog for a walk, or kill a character that comes back from the dead frequently. Usually the walk, though.

4. I don’t think there’s such a thing as Writer’s Block. I think that there is such a thing as Impatient Writers, who try to force stories out when they’re clearly not ready to be shared 🙂

5. I know what I would like ‘the writer’s block’ to mean – I’d like it to be an actual block, as in an area where writers can go to hang out, write, chat, connect – kind of like the internet but actually face to face! Sorry, I’m in one of those moods tonight! I don’t get writer’s block, either. I sometimes reach a point in a scene where the characters stop speaking to me, so I leave them be for a while and go back to it. Sometimes, just letting it settle, means the scene begins to play out in my head and then it’s a race to find a pen! I have been through periods where I have been unable to write for a while because of my depression. Not as in sit in front of a computer and stare at a blank screen (or a page), as in I don’t even want to try. But, again, I just have to wait it out. The need always comes back. It’s like a drug! 🙂 Oh, and also (sorry for the long response…definitely one of those moods) – going back to overcoming obstacles. If I’m typing directly into word and the words are not flowing, or I’m stuck on a certain section, I get out my trusty pen. I swear that thing is magic!

• That would be a very odd place. Would the writer’s break off into factions and battle over turf?

Another subconscious solution from the sound of it. Maybe the block is really a forcing issue or simply not letting a problem go until it gets clogged.

• Okay, I was being over optimistic. I didn’t even consider factions and turf wars. Perhaps my idea of block is more party, less West Side Story! I should not be so facetious 😉

And yes, I think Nicholas is right about the patience issue. I think all writers suffer from impatience. Sometimes there is so much in our head we stumble at the first hurdle because we can’t get it out fast enough!

6. Astro Adam says:

Buzz Lightyear never sugar coats the truth.

7. Rachel says:

1. Writers block is all in your mind. I don’t really think writers block exists, but we trick ourselves into thinking it is because people talk about it all the time. When I get “writers block” I think it’s just because I’ve been working too much on one story and my mind needs a break, my characters need a break. One of my favorite quotes is, “Writers block is when your imaginary friends stop talking to you.” Though I can’t remember who said it or where it came from.

2. The last time I had writers block was when I was working on my mystery series. I found a few plot holes in the mystery and the clues given as well as got stuck on the investigation and how to make it more realistic. I stopped working on that novel for a couple of weeks. When I was ready, I began with research instead of diving back into the writing or editing. The research inspired me to get excited about the project again.

3. My point before is one way I overcome it: take a break from the current project. Or I’ll read a book like Harry Potter–one that really puts me in the mood to write something fantastic. Most of all I’ll find a prompt and work on that for a bit. A random prompt usually sparks new ideas for plots and characters.

• That is a great quote. I’m seeing a lot of people say that writer’s block doesn’t exist, which is funny. Saw a bunch of posts this week going on about it being a thing. Maybe it’s more about what images the term brings to mind. We have to define stuff and that seemed to fit early on and then stuck.

I’ve never tried to read another book to help with mental clogging. I’m always scared I’ll take something directly from it and plug the hole with something that doesn’t really work. I do like the random prompt idea.

• Rachel says:

I go back and forth whether writers block is a thing or not. I think it’s all about perspective and what you’re currently facing.

8. Helen Jones says:

Hmmm. Writer’s Block. It’s one of those things I feel I shouldn’t say out loud, in case I suddenly attract a raving case of it towards me. If I ever do feel a bit stuck for an idea, I either go for a walk or set a timer and start writing, which always gets things going. When you work freelance and have a deadline, you can’t really afford to have writer’s block, so setting yourself a deadline can also be helpful (although it can compound the associated stress).

Those rejection letters are a whole other matter, though…

9. What does Writer’s Block mean to you?
    It’s those time periods when I would rather do anything, even clean up my office, before starting to write for the day.
    Can you recall a time where you had Writer’s Block or feared that you did?
    I have so little time to write that it has been quite some time since I had this problem.
    What did you do to get over that obstacle?
    I have multiple writing projects going on simultaneously. Hopping from one to the other helps.

• 1. Those are severe days if you’re choosing cleaning over writing. 😉

2. Sorry to hear that. Hope you find the time soon. Was there for about 10 years myself and it wasn’t fun.

3. Kind of like a contact refresh button? That made more sense in my head.