Ask a Character: The Lich

You knew it was coming.  The main villain had to get a chance in the hot seat at some point.  He’s also a tiny bit annoyed that it took so long.  After all, his minion and the book mascot went before him.

The Lich is an undead spellcaster working out of the Caster Swamp.  He has a long and frustrating history with Selenia Hamilton, but he’s got his sights set on Luke Callindor now.  He has demonstrated a wild assortment of spells, which makes him stand out from other Liches.  His expertise is in demon summoning and ritual magic, which is why his dark master has kept him around for so long.  Really there’s not much else to say about him.  He’s evil and sinister and smells bad.

So, ask away and enjoy the fun.

This entry was posted in Ask a Character and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Ask a Character: The Lich

1. ioniamartin says:

So Lich, or is it Mr. Lich—Tell the truth. You are madly in love with Selenia.

• The Lich: The half-breed disgusts me and I would gladly see her crushed into powder. I wouldn’t even turn her into a zombie if I had the opportunity. The woman is a thorn in my side and I’d be happy to have nothing to do with her.

Trinity: You are a little obsessed with her.

The Lich: What about your obsession with Nyx?

Trinity: That’s personal and perfect fodder for fan fiction.

The Lich: That fourth wall is just a suggestion to you, isn’t it?

Trinity: Sorry, but I don’t answer questions here.

• ioniamartin says:

It sounds like he just admitted that opposites attract.

• The Lich: Irritating woman! I did not say that! I did not come here to be ridiculed.

Trinity: You really don’t have to go anywhere, dear. It follows you.

The Lich: Who’s side are you on?

Trinity: The one that makes you lose your temper. This is a lot of fun.

The Lich: To get back to the question, I do not have any feelings toward Selenia other than animosity and hate. I don’t even remember what the emotion of love feels like. Liches are creatures of darkness, so such things have been purged from our hearts.

Trinity: Such a sad, sad story. Wait. I meant pathetic.

• ioniamartin says:

Uhm, I think I get it now. What do you see when I hold up this ink blot? You clearly have mommy issues.

• The Lich: My mother was a kind woman, who would never hurt a fly. As for your ink blot, I think you should go back to art academy.

Trinity: I think you’re supposed to say what you think it looks like. They don’t have seers, gods, and psionics on their world, so this is all they have to read minds.

The Lich: You’re kidding . . . I see . . . the night sky.

Trinity: You suck at this, dear.

The Lich: Well, what do you see?

Trinity: A pair of disembodied magical hands dancing with each other through a moonlit clearing.

The Lich: You were sent here to upstage me.

Author: Sorry. Writing a Trinity scene, so she’s running around loose.

• ioniamartin says:

He has deeply rooted mental issues that cannot be solved by medication. I have a slot open at 2;3O If he would like to discuss his mommy issues and the fact that he is seeing Selenia in her underwear in the inkblot.

• Trinity: You’re not going to win this one.

The Lich: I would if I was allowed to use magic. One spell and I’d have a new minion.

Trinity: With your luck, you’d make her stronger than you.

The Lich: I think I’m going to be sick at that image she mentioned.

• ioniamartin says:

Trinity, would you like to leave him to feel sorry for himself and go get a cup of whatever you are fond of drinking? We will be great friends.

Legends of underwear has new meaning.

• Trinity: Legends of Underwear?

The Lich: I have no idea. Go with this woman to investigate and leave me alone.

• ioniamartin says:

Blame the minion John

2. Was it fun to create and write about? I found out that I greately enjoy writing about baddies more than goodies!

• The Lich: Create and write about what?

Author: I think she wants to know if it was fun to create and write about you.

The Lich: I’m just a piece of meat here.

Author: Writing villains is definitely more fun than the heroes because you can go over the top with them.

The Lich: I am not over the top!

Author: See? The Lich in particular was an interesting villain because I had to balance so many things with him. He’s menacing, ambitious, and evil, but he’s also impatient and slightly pathetic.

The Lich: I hate this exercise in mockery.

3. MishaBurnett says:

As a novice necromancer, I keep running into problems creating soulless minions–they’re not soulless. Instead of blindly obeying my will they wander off to deal with unfinished business from their mortal lives. Honestly, I think if I have one more zombie go AWOL to tell his family that he will always love them, I’m going to chuck it and go into pyromancy. What am I doing wrong?

• The Lich: There are two ways to solve this problem. The first is to bind the soul to an object that you keep on your person. Something easy to remove like a ring or glove would work best. Never bind the soul to your body or wear the object while binding. This way the body rises and you have more control over it because you hold its soul. If it gets uppity, threaten or torture the soul until it calms down.

The second option to fix a zombie who wants to visit family for a reunion is rather simple. Kill the family. You can pick the method you wish to use.

4. Olivia Stocum says:

What do you smell like, really?

5. Pingback: Whisked Off to the Magical World of Windemere: One Reader’s Adventure | Melissa Janda – the Buzz on Writing

Mr. Lich (can I just call you Lich?): what would you say are your good qualities? You can’t be all bad, right?

• The Lich: I am an non-living entity that summons demons and raises the dead for his own dark interests. There is very little good about me.

Trinity: That implies there’s something. Spill, Mr. Lich. Thanks for the new name for him.

The Lich: I am very loyal to my master and have an unending amount of determination. I will reach my goals by any means necessary, including sacrificing annoying chaos elves.

Trinity: Try it, dead man. *fireball appears in her hand*

The Lich: I’m also quite versatile in my spells, unlike other Liches. They stick to death spells and summonings or the necromantic equivalent of combat magic. I have learned to do them all, which gives me an edge.

7. Dear Mister Lich,

Long time lurker, first time writer. Here is what I want to know:

Some say the world will end in fire
    and some say in ice
    from what I’ve tasted of desire
    it will end in dice

Do you agree or disagree with this statement, and why?

I remain,
    Insane

• The Lich: An interesting poem about the end of the world. It hints that Cessia the luck goddess will be responsible for the end of all. I would disagree with that part of the statement because she is not the type to cause destruction. Maybe some mayhem by accident, but she balances it with good luck.

Trinity: Fire and ice could be Nyx and Sari.

The Lich: That makes less sense unless they turn on everyone. That could end the world rather thoroughly. Why are mortals so concerned with how the world ends? As someone who will live forever, I can assure you that there is no point in dwelling on that. The end will come whether you wish it to or not.

Trinity: Rather dismal over there, huh?

The Lich: Why? I’ll still be around long after all those with meat are bone dust.

Trinity: Play nice isn’t in your vocabulary.

8. Saunved says:

When did the Lich last take a bath? 😀

• The Lich: Centuries ago when I was alive. Since then, it has not been a priority.

Trinity: Speak for yourself. You smell like an open grave.

The Lich: A bath would not fix that.

Trinity: An acid bath might.

9. Pingback: Check This Out: Legends of Windemere (Part 1) | El Space–The Blog of L. Marie