Puddle Jumping

We never take the time

To enjoy the puddles in our way

We go around

Or rush on through

Cursing at wet socks

We never take a rest

After a pouring rain

To find the nearest puddle

And jump into its midst

With no worries in our mind

We never can remember

The last time we played and romped

As children in our galoshes

Or bare feet if we felt bold

That churned puddles in our wake

We never can return

To the joy of puddle jumping

Our role is to be mature

Forbidden to splash with glee

At least when we are watched

This entry was posted in Poems and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Puddle Jumping

1. Bastet says:

Ah yes…as long as we are watched…at my age I risk being put into a home if I start doing childish stuff…crazy world we live in…was reading a book by a Belgian where she states that the older Japanese once they reach a certain age reclaim their right to fool around…good idea!

• That’s a great idea! I think we should make that age 30. Too many angry, depressed people in their 30’s and up around this place. A water balloon fight or a game of tag would liven everything up. Maybe offices should instate a mandatory hide and seek break for 30 minutes on every Thursday. πŸ™‚

• Bastet says:

LOL….I second the motion! A little fun by crickey! They don’t realize that what they think is a waste of money (letting people have fun) would probably actually increase their production.

• A happy worker is a productive worker. I’ve only had a few bosses that believed that. Only one of those was in an office setting while the rest were retail and food industries.

• Bastet says:

I was once a salesperson…t’wasn’t nice of me to make that remark….pardon!

• I would never call myself a salesperson. I never had that aggression. I was a guy who got paid to put on the company clothes and help those in need. πŸ™‚

• Bastet says:

Retailers would know…their livelyhood is manipulating people into buying things they don’t usually want πŸ™‚ …how’s that for being snide!

• Depends on the retailer and the level of the job. My store manager at the video store I worked out never pushed things that people didn’t want. He learned what the customer’s tastes were and led them to a movie that fit their interests. It’s why the store was the last one standing in the region as the overall company went bankrupt. There were too many regulars thanks to my boss and those of us that followed his example. Yeah, there’s still a lot of sappy pride I have for the guy.

• Bastet says:

Yes, I know the type you’re talking about…someone who’s worth knowing and really liked people…known a few.

2. Orchid says:

How does age matter when it comes to puddle jumping or getting wet in the rains..well yes, we definitely don’t want people 2 think we r crazy! lovely poem Charles!

3. ioniamartin says:

This made my morning Charles. πŸ™‚

4. mysticcooking says:

Great poem! I used to love puddle jumping – this made me think I still probably do. πŸ™‚

5. Saunved says:

That was sweet! I love puddle jumping and irritating passers-by…they just don’t get the idea in that! πŸ˜€

6. Love this and am sharing on Facebook because I talk about why we all need to just have more fun in life…especially as we get older. Fun doesn’t have an age limit!

7. Pingback: Puddle Jumping | Mommy in Bonlee