This was the last full week of camp and it was a slog. Keep in mind that I had just gotten over pneumonia, so the cough and fatigue were lingering. Last Sunday, I could function for about 40 minutes before I needed to sit down. Yet, I was at work on Monday and ready to do what had to be done. My boss understood and let me take breaks when I could as long as someone was watching my area. Still, the schedule was as follows:
- Monday was the big Shindig and I was in charge of the carnival popcorn popper. This was outside, but under a tent. I was able to go inside every now and then to check out my regular areas. Kept the ready popcorn amounts high, so I was in constant motion even though I was running on fumes. Still, I made it to the end and got to sit down in silence for a few minutes afterwards.
- Tuesday was the trip to see ‘Toy Story 4’. This was for the whole camp and it was more tiring than I expected. Have to admit that I wasn’t that impressed with the movie. It felt unnecessary when you look at how ‘Toy Story 3’ ended.
- Wednesday through Friday was the Color Wars and I was a judge. The first two days were in the gym, which isn’t air conditioned. I thought that would be the same for the last day, but I ended up being outside. Unfortunately, I didn’t bring a hat, water, or sunscreen. So, I got drained and burned in a few places. Not the best way to end the week, but I made it to the weekend.
There really isn’t much else to talk about. Had an encounter that I wish I could talk about in public, but that would cause ripples. All I can say is that some people need more empathy and shouldn’t start barking orders in a situation that they know nothing about. I was really annoyed by this along with other things that happened. Kind of want to have some form of a summer break, but that doesn’t look like it will happen. Means I enter the school year as tired as I left it, which is a lesson for next summer. I will either be taking courses, taking tests, or writing in 2020. People ask me about money, but I’m just going to live frugal during that time. Maybe I’ll be lucky and something will be moving with the books.
I’m hoping to get more active on WordPress and finally change my pinned Tweet once camp is done. It might take a little longer since my son and I are going on a trip for a few days. We haven’t been able to spend a lot of time together beyond a handful of weekends, which had plans. The ex-wife argued that me working at the camp that he goes to counted, but I rarely saw him. So, this trip is a much needed ‘father/son’ time that doesn’t happen very often. I tend to be saddled with the errands like school supplies or parenting work like homework. Not that I mind, but it does wear on me when I feel like I’m designated as the ‘boring’ parent. I’m hoping to do a trip like this once or twice a year, but it really boils down to schedule. It’s hard to do this when you have to contend with camp during the summer and holidays during the breaks. Can’t go traveling when Passover and Easter are in the middle of your time.
Part of me wants to start in on the editing of War of Nytefall: Eradication before camp ends. It’s 15 chapters, which means I need 5 clear days. After the trip, my son goes to his mother and that gives me 6 days. One of those will be taken by a work orientation and I always have other things going on. With editing, I can’t take long breaks between sessions because I need to work on the flow. My goal is to release it during Christmas and I haven’t done a lot. No blurbs or contacting my cover artist, which I’ll be doing once camp is done. Maybe I’ll work on the blurbs or do some editing on the trip once the little guy goes to bed. Some people have suggested quitting the writing until I’m retired and have more time, but that just makes me cry. Seriously, it’s more of a reminder that my entire life has fallen apart over the last 2 years.
Not much else to say. I feel boring ever since I stopped being a full-time author. Lost and depressed too, but that’s well established every week. Just a few more days and I get more free time, which is good.
Goals of the week:
- Finish camp job.
- Start editing War of Nytefall: Eradication
- Pack for trip.
- Go on trip.
- Tinker with outline for War of Nytefall: Ravenous
- Work on blog posts for November. (Can’t do October until the September posts go up asking for input.)
- Do more work on the fantasy tip book. I tried at camp, but things happened.
- Weekend events like block party and arcade outing.