Turning Point or Continue On?

(Might have used this one already, but whatever.)

This past week was one of . . . damned if I know.  I sorted through a lot of the superhero stuff and wrote up villains for a future book.  That’s really it.  For some reason my energy plummeted in the early afternoons or I didn’t have any to begin with.  Part of this stems from the schedule for everyone being thrown off.  The wife is home all the time, which has us tripping over each other and my son unsure of the day.  He knows mommy is home for weekends, so having her home for school days is causing some trouble.  So it’s been a hectic balancing act and nightly battles.  This doesn’t even bring in the other stresses like helping her job hunt and making sure she isn’t getting upset.

Then there’s the other issue that comes from the whole mess:  DO I KEEP GOING?  My sales and rankings have gone down.  I won’t have another release until December or later because we all know that arena is a disaster for me.  All of this brings up the question that comes up when things get tough.  Keep trying to find new ways to promote and coming up empty.  Needless to say, I’m feeling a little down about the whole thing and hoping it doesn’t influence the writing.  I need to get back to that because it’s become the only time I feel happy and relaxed.

I return to Windemere for Book 12 on Tuesday or Wednesday.  It’s the last big project for 2015 and leaves me with 3 books left on Legends of Windemere.  Those 3 will be done along with another Ichabod Brooks and possibly another Bedlam book next year.  That last one depends on how well the first one is received, but the alpha readers seem to be enjoying it.  As far as Book 12, it’s a big one.  A lot of stuff happens and it is basically the end of the temple part of the adventure.  Only other thing I can say is that it’s the finale for a character too and a lot comes to light.  That leaves me with the last 3 and those all involve the rush toward the grand battle.  Especially since Book 12 ends with a real nasty setback and leads into Book 13, which will have one of the most brutal events of the series.

Odd talking about this when this book won’t be released until next December.  The only reason I’ve been going full blast on the writing is because the outlines are there and I want to have everything written in case something happens.  Not sure what to do when I’m done though.  You see, the next book after Legends of Windemere is a standalone that could spoil the ending.  So do I save that for much later and move on to the Dawn Fangs?  I guess I could always write it and keep it reserved until enough time has passed.  Now I’m just wandering with my thoughts.  Been a long day with the kid at the zoo and tomorrow (today since I’m writing/scheduling this post the night before) is the wife’s birthday.  I really wish I could sit down and hash this stuff out since it’s giving me a headache.

So, what’s the plan for the week?

1. Take kid pants shopping and wife cake shopping since she wants Gluten Free.
  2. Start writing Legends of Windemere: The Spirit Well.  Hoping to get the first 3-4 chapters done by next weekend.
  3. Check in with alpha readers for Crossing Bedlam.
  4. Consider 99designs for cover art.  Not sure what else to do for set up.  Still considering Beta readers, but not sure how or when to do that.  Book is unedited.
  5. Poke at the Sin stories since I only need locations, supporting cast, and Act synopsis on the first one.
  6. Try to retain some energy.
  7. Enjoy seeing how people take to the Raven’s Hold.

Simple week, but it feels like a challenge for me due to being very tired.  Hope everyone has some fun.

This entry was posted in Goal Posts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Turning Point or Continue On?

1. Bookwraiths says:

Thoughts and best wishes are with you. There is a lot you are dealing with, I know. Hoping it all comes together for you.

2. I know those feelings, so you aren’t alone. Grandson’s birthday party for me today.im going to keep forging ahead.

3. A.J. Goode says:

Just take a deep breath and maybe give yourself permission to take a day off from worrying about writing. You’re a fabulous writer and a huge source of support for so many other struggling writers; it’s only natural that you might feel a bit burned out from time to time.

4. Elle Knowles says:

So easy to get distracted or reach a road block! Carry on – you’ll figure it out.

5. C.E.Robinson says:

Charles, sounds as if you did sit down and (wrote) hashed this stuff out. Now some things will settle down, and some still up in the air. One of the biggest up in the air is your wife getting a job. Stress & tension about that for both of you. Each day changes perspectives & new ways to cope. You’ve always been good at coping. Keep that and your strength & energy will return. Good thoughts! Chryssa

• I never really felt like I hashed it out. Not with someone else to bounce the ideas off of, which is part of the issue. I like getting feedback and it’s hard to do. The funky weather isn’t helping either. Swear it was cold this morning, but now I’m sweating after a walk.

• C.E.Robinson says:

Charles, understand the need to have a trusted other person to bounce ideas off. You have a few blogger friends/ published authors who would be good at that! I’m fortunate to be working with a screenwriter as her editor. But we’ve developed a collaborative relationship. I bounce book stuff off her and she’s given me invaluable feedback! Good luck with your busy week! Chryssa

• I find it a little tough to do over a blog recently. I used to do the back and forth in person a lot, which had a different feel. At least on here, I’m always scared to mention too much about my ideas and ruin the entire thing. I do have a bestie that I chat to through FB messenger, but we’ve both been busy and run down lately.

6. Busy week. Good luck with that.

7. noelleg44 says:

Charles, your week exhausts me! Yes, take some time to re-energize, and while you’re at it, send me some of that!

• Sadly this was the re-energizing week. I’m pretty sure trying again this week will end in a bigger disaster. Especially with the kid having Monday off. I can send you what little energy I have. It may take the form of iced lattes and Twizzlers.

Wow. I’m almost comatose compared to you. You’ve got a lot going on. And it’s hard that such an upheaval took place. But you know what needs to be done. You usually do. You’ve reached hurdles and surmounted them.

99designs did your Ichabod cover, right?

• Yeah. They did the Ichabod cover and I might use the next package up for Bedlam. Trying to figure out when I should do the release because I’m still hoping to get the next Windemere book out by December.

9. Jack Flacco says:

Audience patterns change, so I wouldn’t worry about marketing. Find where the new audience is coming from and target that. For instance, when I first started three years ago in December, my audience was mainly morning readers from other blogs. Nowadays, my audience is coming from all over (eg. Twitter, Facebook, etc.). Then again, I really am not a marketing guy at all and would prefer handing off the job to someone else. I dread this weeks leading up to release. Not fun, but worth it. Anyway, just a thought.

• I’m not a marketing guy either and I can’t figure out the source. Probably set up another Amazon ad campaign tomorrow and see how that goes. Twitter seems to help more than FB for me.

I’m curious to see how your next book goes since it’s the end of a trilogy. That’s supposedly a good selling point for all of them. People will find it easier to enter a series when all the books are already published.

10. Oh Charles, I so know how you feel… 🙂