Last week was rough getting through the edits of The Compass Key and pushing all of the hype posts back a week. Until I get the editing and cover art done, I’ll be doing the push and a day of writing posts every Thursday. The alternative is to let all of those posts go live without the book, which would be very embarrassing . . . again. So I’m definitely feeling like I’m in stasis for now.
Not that I won’t be busy. My lovely, intelligent, wrathful, friendly, whip-wielding editor has given me an assignment. Use what I’ve learned to fix up Beginning of a Hero. I already started and I want to cry. It’s nothing like the others, which is one depressing sight. The other is that I’m still ‘over’ this book. I hate to say it that way, but I finished the first draft in 2000/2001. So figure I’ve been editing it at least once a year since that time and you can see why I’m whimpering. I still make changes for the sake of making changes with this thing. Thankfully, it’s short and I’ll get through it before the week is done, but it’s going to be more of a task than Book 6. Yeah this is baby author whining, but this is my blog and I’m allowed. (Prepares to apologize to editor for complaining.)
On top of hoping that everything comes together and I can still do an August 1st book debut, the toddler will have his birthday party next Saturday. So I have to do some cleaning, final check with guests, make sure I know what to get for food, and eventually put a trampoline together for him. Come to think of it, I have no idea how to build this thing inside and carry it outside. I think I have a tent to put up too.
Speaking of the toddler, he had a nasty spill at the park and skinned both knees. Bathes are going to be a challenge for a day or two and I don’t know what his second swimming lesson is going to be like on Tuesday.
Goals of the week:
- Edit Beginning of a Hero.
- Edit The Compass Key with editor over phone.
- Pray for cover art, but plan for delay. Jason is trying and that’s good enough for me.
- Write plot outline for new Clyde story.
- Prepare for toddler’s birthday party as week goes on.
- If need be, spend a day writing posts after pushing the Hype Week and Ask-A-Character weeks back. Saving the Windemere questions for after that. Subject will be a post for each Champion to discuss their ‘core trait’ or lack thereof.
- Try to finally make it a week without missing a day of biking.
QUESTION! If I was to do another TWUBS Chat where people can ask me questions over Twitter, WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST DAY AND TIME? Trying to get a consensus.