Society of Oddities

An arm flap and a toe walk

Signs of wrong

Because someone said so

Labels hurled

At a child acting like a child

Tears and screams

Tantrums prove he isn’t right

As if he’s the only one

Fuck . . . this . . . shit

A person is that person

Not a carbon copy

An arm flap and a toe walk

Signs of difference

Not of wrongness

Show me the perfect child

And I will prove you wrong

No child is perfect

No human is perfect

Choke on your labels

And

Fuck

This

Shit

This entry was posted in Poems and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Society of Oddities

1. Bastet says:

Very strong and very true…our society is labeling everything and everyone, not only the medicine bottles.

2. Tacey says:

Gosh, soooo true and relevant. Thank you for giving vocabulary to this.

3. tjtherien says:

hey Charles I’m one of those labeled children…I was labeled developmentally challenged and spent grade four in a classroom with mentally handicapped children… some of this had to do with an incident from when I was a baby and stopped breathing requiring a tracheotomy and the doctors said that I had stopped breathing for long enough to cause severe brain damage. Society is quick to slap labels on what it does not understand… great awareness piece…
    and for the record I think my final brain cell challenged as it may be is quite on par with everyone else…

4. greenembers says:

Wow Charles, what’s going on? Did I miss a post? Great poem though.

5. ioniamartin says:

Feel free to vent. I have two autistic children and one with ADHD. Totally get it. People.

6. Ellespeth says:

This is an intense poem, Charles. I hope there are options. I’m here if you need to talk.
    Ellespeth

• Thanks. We’ve found a few options. Including something we were told to do that turned out to counter everything else we were told. Might be able to get out of this with more ease than we thought.