There is a big problem within the pages of War of Nytefall: Ravenous. In fact, this is an issue that has been a headache for a while. Not for me, but the villains that decide to step up against Clyde’s gang. While he is a monstrous force of destruction, there is another member who could be more dangerous. That would be Lost. Her psychic powers have evolved from mentally controlling others to full on telepathy, which has led to her being one of the most powerful Dawn Fangs. I’ve even played with the idea of weakening her, especially because she doesn’t have much restraint. Until then, villains need to find a way around her, so here are some tips.
- Let’s start with an easy one. Get a psionic of your own. They might not be as powerful as the one they’re facing, but they will be seen as the primary target. Many weaker psionics develop tricks to face stronger enemies on the astral plane too. So, they can keep the major threat busy and land a few blows that allow for somebody else to take them down.
- Remember that the strain of using mental powers is great even if the psionic doesn’t show it. They can only effect so many minds, so you may be able to overpower them with great numbers. Maybe a Herculean feat that requires them to expend a lot of their energy early on. The point is to weaken them before the real encounter since they run out of steam faster than those who rely on brute force.
- Set a trap and DO NOT stand nearby. In fact, don’t be anywhere in the area and keep those who helped you away as well. A psionic can’t learn about a secret if they don’t have a mind to read or enemy to control. This means that spike traps, pitfalls, and other more basic attacks are possible as long as you catch them by surprise. They only give the illusion of being all-knowing since they can only know what those around them have in their heads.
- If you find yourself being telepathically probed or about to be mind-controlled, try to rattle the psionic. Some may be ready for anything, but everyone has something that they are shocked by. They are just as open as you are when they are in your mind, so bombard them with whatever makes them uncomfortable. Needing focus to maintain contact, this can be a great way to break free.
- Buy or build a device that can block psionic abilities. This seems like an obvious one, but it really depends on your resources. It doesn’t have to go on them to work, so you can have a small charm on yourself that gives you protection. Make sure it is something that can’t be easily lost or removed though. Psionics tend to have friends to handle such things, so make sure they have to work for it.
- Shiny objects. Okay, this might only work on Lost.
- Avoidance might be the best course of action. They have incredible range and can scan an area for minds to tap into. This means you can’t let your underlings know the entire or most of a plan. Even you might have to find a way to erase some thoughts or make things up as you go along. Not much you can do about the mind control, but if the psionic doesn’t know what you’re up to and you barely know yourself then you have a good chance of succeeding.