Betting everyone feels like these weeks are just an endless cycle of nothing. Sure, the sun goes up and down to signify the passage of time. Yet, it doesn’t feel like it means a difference since every day is basically the same. By the time I hit one that is different, I’m kind of numb and unsure of what to do. That isn’t to say I do nothing, but my senses feel a little dulled.
Most of my time is spent doing schoolwork with my son and handling my own work until mid-afternoon. This is done without any real breaks besides a 30 minute lunch in front of a cartoon. Got math, ELA, history, science, writing, spelling, physical education, library, speech, music, band, computer, STEM, and anything else that turns up for him. That’s not all in a day, but it’s spread throughout the week. I can’t keep my son going full tilt for the whole day or he begins to lose it. I’m not much better. Both of us look forward to play time, which is either video games or something else that doesn’t require a screen. Overall, this is more exhausting than working, parenting, and writing prior to the pandemic. He’s getting great grades, so I’m fine with collapsing at the end of the night. Only thing that keeps me awake after 9 are the texts that come in and knowing I have to turn off my son’s CD player when it’s done playing his sleeping music.
Writing has seen some progress. I’ll do a list to make things more organized:
- Settled on the name Do I Need to Use a Dragon? (Tips to Fantasy Writing) and I think this helps with the chapter titles. I’m going to take a small break from it and then go back to have each chapter start with a question. Considering this is going to be written blog style and treated as if the topic was brought up by someone, I think this format can work.
- After a year, I got back into planning the second to last book of Sin’s series. Being 4 act tales that span a lot of space, I need to plot his adventures about as much as I did for the Bedlam series. Finally decided on a series title too: The Ether Thief. Logic: Sin is a thief and his weapon is called the Ether Crossbow. I might even make that his official title like how Delvin Cunningham in the Mercenary Prince and Mab is the Dark Mistress.
- Got 2 chapters done of War of Nytefall: Savagery. I’m really hoping to make it 3 this weekend, but Fridays are proving to be more difficult than I imagined. Nothing too major. A clear day gives me time to do 3 sections, which is usually a full chapter. Fridays and Sundays are rather busy, so I can only get 2 in there. That means a 3 day weekend usually nets me 2.33 chapters. Not bad, but I’m trying to figure out if I can release War of Nytefall: Ravenous in September. I still need to edit that one again or find someone willing to check it for readability. Again, that’s tough since it’s so far into a series that very few people have read. That and I have a history of running into people who try to convince me to do a full rewrite of the plot, which is never an argument that I’ll agree with. These books are created to close doors from before and open others to the future, so a full rewrite means I have to do change everything that comes next. Anyway, this makes me a little cautious on who I hand the main series books off to for opinions.
Can’t think of much else to talk about. Pizza was enjoyed this week and I’m making my way through the ‘Blue Exorcist’ anime. Not sure what to watch after that. I’m thinking of choosing a live-action series on Netflix like ‘The Magicians’ or ‘iZombie’. Toughest thing is that I’m about ready to drop at the end of the day, so hour long shows are a challenge. I could rewatch ‘The Witcher’ for kicks. Think I marked ‘Get Shorty’ the series too. Now, I’m just listing things. My head is wandering off already. Time to get going and recover enough energy for writing. What are the goals?
- Write this weekend.
- Teaching and parenting.
- Tinker with The Ether Thief: Song of the Conqueror at night.
- Puzzles when too tired.
- Start scheduling posts for July.
- Swear there was something else coming.
- Keep thinking.
- Give up and end this post.