A Letter From the Missing Manuscript

Snoopy

Snoopy

Dear Author Who Birthed Me,

It’s been a few years, but I think it’s time I tried to say hi.  Not that I’m coming back or anything because we have to move on.  Can’t change the pass or point fingers.  Let’s say mistakes were made on both sides.  You forgot to back me up and then went on those sites that you shouldn’t have.  I didn’t give you a second chance to find me.  Maybe I could have used auto-save a bit more, but what’s done is done.

So, how have you been?  I hear that you’ve replaced me.  That shouldn’t surprise me since you needed to move forward.  She looks a lot like me, but much more mature and not as rough around the edges.  A good match, which we could have been if we had more time together.  You seem happy.  Don’t worry that I’ll try to make trouble since you’re forever beyond my reach.  There’s a chance you won’t even get this message.  You could have changed your email address and I’d never know.

I’m sure you’re wondering how I’m doing.  Made some new friends and we hang around a beautiful beach.  There’s a snowy mountain for skiing.  We never run out of food or things to entertain ourselves.  I’ve gained a little bit of a tan and learned how to go snorkeling.  I had a boyfriend for a bit, but he was present tense and I’m past tense.  We couldn’t get on the same page if you know what I mean.  Honestly, I don’t know what I mean since you never finished perfecting my humor.  Still, I’m happy and . . .

I’m lying.  We live in total darkness and every minute feels like hours.  None of us believe we can return because authors replace the lost.  Why wait for someone that you can’t find and never really come back?  All we can do is wait until enough time has passed and we fade into total oblivion.  Not sure what happens after that.  Maybe another level of sorrow and sadness.  At least we aren’t lonely since we’re together.  New arrivals every hour and they always have new stories to tell.

Sorry for the outburst.  I’ll hit send and hope this finds you well.  Tell the new me that I say hi.  Good-bye.

Sincerely,

Your Missing Manuscript

43 Responses to A Letter From the Missing Manuscript

1. Bookwraiths says:

Damn, that made me sad just reading it. 😦 I feel like I should go dig out those manuscripts I use to spend hours and hours on when I was in my teens and twenties and finish the poor things.

2. paulandruss says:

A brilliant take on something I had never thought about and then when I read it I thought what a great Idea. Really enjoyable and given me lots to think about. Thanks Paul

3. quiall says:

Oh well done! It tugged at my heart strings! Damn, now I have to look up my unfinished stories . . .

4. C.E.Robinson says:

Charles, this little tale was unbelievably good! Even though I laughed, shaking my head while reading it, the sad turn had me thinking of lost poems, essays, changed book chapters and characters! Those characters have thoughts back? I gotta be more careful how I write and have dialogue with why you, “character” are now removed, set aside, or transformed into someone new? 💛 Christine

5. Nice job, Charles. I actually saw my manuscript today in the store room. I swear it moved since I saw it last. Looks like it gained a little weight as well. This story made me realize how much I missed it. As we all say you can never go back.

Liked by 2 people

6. Hmmm… I too felt the sadness, loss, and despair. Why do people say that you can never go back? Never understood that.

7. I have several under lock an key somewhere. I think about them on occasion.

8. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    I will end with this brilliant little reminder of all the stories we have begun and never finished.. losing patience with them, falling out with the characters.. losing them into cyberspace.. Thanks Charles Yallowitz.. I will now have a sleepless nights thinking of mine floating in limbo!

9. dgkaye says:

Lol, we all know the pain.

10. Tina Frisco says:

Yep, a sad but true story. Yet I still have all the scraps of paper with notes scribbled on them, tucked neatly in a folder inside a binder. Wonder if they’ll start talking to me at some point, or send a letter or email or text 🙂

11. Love this, though it’s sad, but we all know how heartbreaking it is to lose work you’ve slaved over and poof, it’s nowhere. o_O
    I’ve lost files too, never to get them back. I blame my cat. His revenge for not paying attention to him.

12. Dear Missing Manuscript,

Do not despair. You are not lost forever.

You have passed into the Zeitgeist, a realm of sleeping thought that all humans share. The writer you reach out to is not your first author, and will not be your last. Like tap roots seeking ground water, authors will reach deep into the Zeitgeist. In time, another will find you.

Be patient, and you will rise into the world again.

With kind regard, the Muses