Blizzard 2016: May God Have Mercy on the Hedges

I’m scheduling this one instead of writing it tomorrow.  The reason is because we’re supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow.  Yes, people are getting worse elsewhere.  Yes, people overreact to winter storm warnings.  None of that matters because I still have to shovel away whatever lands on the walkway, driveway, and sidewalk.  Helping a neighbor out too, so I’ll be working hard.  Might not even get back before this goes live, which is another reasoning I’m scheduling this.

I already see people online teasing others about panicking about the storm.  Here’s the thing though.  What if those who are worried end up being right?  One can still lose power and that means no heat or hot food unless you use gas.  Sure, there’s a good chance that the media is overhyping the storm and it’ll be small.  Then again, if they ever downplay a storm and it hits like cannonball to the scrotum, people will cry bloody murder that they weren’t prepared enough.  My point here is that it’s better to be overprepared and cautious when facing the unpredictable elements than got caught with no heat, no hot water, and only a box of saltines to eat for two days.

In other news, I’m editing and realizing I don’t move as quickly as I used to.  I’m getting worried that I’m slowing down or something.  My energy drops by late afternoon and a nap only makes me groggy.  Probably caused by the cold and being stressed to the point where I don’t sleep well.  I’m unconscious, but I get the feeling that it isn’t a healthy type of sleep.  Part of me wonders if a day of hard work shoveling will reboot the system since I tend to feel more energized after biking.

In regards to editing, I haven’t gotten as far as I’d hoped.  Delays happen and there are nights where I just can’t get the mojo working at the right levels.  I want to finish editing these books by February 19th.  That way I can dive into Book 13 of Legends of Windemere after the kid goes back to school.  Crossing Bedlam should be out by then too.  Reminds me that I need to make a volunteers post for Sunday.  Eh, this is the plan and I’m limping along already.

FYI- This coming week will start the Crossing Bedlam hype posts.  You get a look into the characters and their world as well as a few themes.  It was going to be this week, but I think the topics I switched in worked better.  Especially the one about what you can do for authors in your life.

So, shall we try a goal list?

1. Finish editing Tribe of the Snow Tiger.
  2. Do blurbs for Tribe of the Snow Tiger.
  3. Start editing Charms of the Feykin.
  4. Shovel snow.
  5. Defrost body.
  6. Play with son in snow.
  7. Shovel more snow.
  8. Rue the fact that I’m not allowed to hibernate.
  9. Eat something

This entry was posted in Goal Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Blizzard 2016: May God Have Mercy on the Hedges

1. quiall says:

I would suggest that the people doing the teasing have never lived through an ‘epic’ storm. I have. How many people have died due to this storm already? 9? I’ll say a prayer for you.

• I heard it was 9. A lot of people without power too. That was further south than us. I think the storm lost some of its power before it got here. As for the people teasing, I have to agree. A lot of them end up being in the south where snow isn’t common.

2. The west (outside of the coast) seems to be missing all the storms. I’ve been through some that dropped 3 feet overnight, and once when temps fell to -40. Everything needs to shift gears and some of those days at home are fun.

3. C.E.Robinson says:

Charles, yep, restorative sleep is a must! Not sure your overactive brain knows that! Not sure what to suggest on that topic short of the old list of healthy sleep habits! Sleep aid drugs are short term and not for everyone. Yikes! And you have eat something on the list too! Your left brain needs to take charge here! You know that part that does the editing! Happy sleep💤😴 And Happy Meals! 🍔🍟🌭 Elizabeth

4. Hope you get less than predicted.

You guys are definitely in my thoughts. I have a lot of friends in the northeast (many in the Philly area). I hear you on numbers 4–7. 😦 Stay warm!

6. Oloriel says:

Get some rest after all the snow shoveling. And ye, people like to tease, but just like Sam from Bugs Bunny, come to whine for food and other stuff when shit does hit the fan 🙂

7. This storm is supposed to be terrible! I really hope you and everyone in your region stays safe and warm.

8. Ellespeth says:

From what I’m reading, sounds like it’s a terrible storm…I can see you’re still posting – so hopefully you won’t lose power.
    Ellespeth

9. Bookwraiths says:

Hope the storm isn’t as bad as predicted. If it is, you and yours will be in my thoughts.

As for me and mine down South, my kids are horribly upset it isn’t going to snow. They haven’t seen the stuff in several years and really thought this storm would send some our way. 😦

• Thanks. We didn’t get hit as bad as other areas. The wind made a mess and shoveling was a pain. Going to get the rest of the snow out of the way tomorrow. Hope the kids get to see a little snow. To be young again and enjoy the storm instead of having to toil in it. 🙂

10. Please, please, please be careful shoveling snow, Charles. A twenty-something has little problem, but it gets harder on us the older we get, That shovel full of snow is heavy. One of the newscasters on CNN was talking about his experience and saying he tired quickly and he was a younger man. Do it little by little. It depends on what your body is used to. All the best on meeting your writing schedule. — Suzanne

11. It’s never a good idea to take nature for gramted. Stay safe and have fun in the snow with your little boy.

12. Jack Flacco says:

Good luck with your new release Crossing Bedlam. Crazy how fast time flies. Enjoy the winter, regardless of it being cold, wet and blowing. Nothing like it! 😉

13. noelleg44 says:

Charles, I do think people may respond to winter, less light, and snow with a primal urge to hibernate! I know I do – harder to stay awake and on task in the afternoon. We usually shovel our driveway but this time the ice was about a half inch on top of frozen sleet/snow – there’s nothing for it but to lay down salt and hope it warms up soon.