The afterlife of Windemere has yet to come up because it really isn’t a focus of the Legends of Windemere series. There is an interesting history about it, but that appears more in a later series. Key point: The God of the Dead has been missing for centuries and nobody knows where he went. For that matter, I’m not sure where he wandered off to either. Now it’s a group of gods that takes care of his realm.
There are stages to the afterlife and the first is being sorted by how you died or your mindset upon death. Each of the 7 realms is unique, but they’re a pit stop on the way to your chosen deities palace. This includes evil-hearted people who would end up going to their dark god. Though they do tend to be left in the painful stage for longer because their deities are jerks. Anyway, you’re taken by Tinara the Reaping Goddess to one of these realms where you either wait, suffer, or have fun. It varies depending on the realm. Each one has a different deity looking over it, but the Death God would rule over all if he was still around. I’ll figure out where I left him eventually. I swear that I had him in college before a finals week. Let’s move on to those realms:
- Hell– Currently overseen by Gabriel (God of Destiny and Lord of Hell), this is a plane of fire where people go if they were killed by anything fire-related. People get this place mixed up with the home of demons because it is close to the Chaos Void. Demons visit because they enjoy the ‘show’ of mortal suffering.
- Heaven– Currently overseen by Zaria (Goddess of Purity), this is a plane of air where people go if they were killed anything air-related. This would mean lightning/wind magic, falling, and being eaten by flying beasts. There’s not land here, so it’s rather disorienting for people to either float around or plummet until their god comes to get them. A person’s purity determines how their time is spent here, but it’s still problematic.
- Geovale– Currently overseen by The Holy One (Chief Dwarven God), this is a plane of earth where people go if they were killed by . . . you guys know where this and the next one will go by now. Earth monsters and earth incidents, which are not as common as you think. This is a barren wasteland of boulders where nobody who visits will find anyone else. It’s rather terrifying at times.
- Umbera– Currently overseen by Elichai (Goddess of Oceans), this is a vast ocean where you can’t drown even if you’re submerged. It’s another scary realm and most gods are quick to get their followers out of this realm. Again, the ones that are sadistic and mean take a ‘I will get you when I get you’ approach. Elichai does try to make it tolerable by sneaking in some astral dolphins that seek out the pure to keep them afloat and company. Also one really big astral shark to scare the crap out of evil people.
- Chaos Void– The home of demons is actually part of the afterlife. The souls of evil men and women go here to be tortured for a bit. It used to be nothing more than a cage for the demons, but the Death God took a little pity on the creatures. So he put them to work to punish the worst of the worst. Unfortunately, the ‘openings’ that allow souls in is why mortals are able to summon demons to the mortal realm. Gabriel has this one too since nobody else wanted it.
- Ram’s Garden– Ruled by the Ram the War God, this is a vast battlefield that is open to those who wish to continue fighting after death. It was created by the Death God as a birthday present to the War God. This way his followers can get the combat out of their system before moving on to the well-earned rest within their god’s palace.
- The Pasture– A calming, vast town overseen by Inyo the Innocence God. Innocents who were murdered are sent here to blissfully live out the rest of their lives. They move on once they die of ‘natural causes’. Most times these are children who arrive as if waking up from sleep. Anyone they see from their life are actually shape-shifting servants of Inyo that are born from the heart of the innocent.
A final note: people who die of natural causes and old age are sent straight to their god’s palace. The other realms help dispel any lasting trauma and ambitions to ease people into the afterlife. Then there are ghosts, but that’s a different post.