Project Phoenix: Gideon

Yahoo Image Search

Yahoo Image Search

It’s been a really long time since I posted a Project Phoenix character.  I only make it through two and then delays happened.  One of the difficulties is that I no longer know who’s in the series because of the upheaval.  Maybe that will be a weekend project.  Then again, I’m writing this on January 21st due to being snowed in and my mind wandering while I wait for the toddler to come home.

For those that don’t know, Project Phoenix is a big series that I keep having trouble with.  It used to be superheroes and it still is, but I can never figure out the structure.  I ended up with 16 books, 19 heroes, and a relative mess.  So, I moved it to Windemere and a few pieces fell into place.  An ancient group of people who were gifted with powers and then sealed by the gods.  The first book has them awakening and then the various beings start heading toward their city.  After that, I’m not sure if I should do a consistent story that runs through all the books or simply a set of individual stories that eventually hit a big threat.  Maybe even one of the books shows the rise of a major villain and then another series to show the aftermath of that villain’s victory.  A book that’s solely a slugfest seems boring and I might still have the 19 hero problem there.

Gideon is one of the 3 constant characters.  The others are Eryx and Samson who were mentioned months upon months . . . a little under a year ago.  Gideon was based on a friend who was big into combat, drinking, women, and being ‘badass’.  So he’s always been a big warrior character with a level of honor that my friend had.  Before entering Windemere, he was a weapon specialist with heightened reflexes and stood out as the lowest powered hero.  Yet, he was the deadliest too because of his weapon training and strategic mind.

Joining Windemere has turned him into a dwarf and he holds a similar role as the combat specialist.  He’s also become older than the others and is the adopted father of Samson and Eryx after finding them in the wild at separate times.  Through this he’s become a mentor character and a main hero.  His big story was when his past, and daughter, came back to haunt him, which may still happen.  Beyond that I don’t know since I’m not sure of the structure of the series.  It’s still listed in my mind as a series where every book has an individual story/hero with a few repeats.  Gideon being one of the first ones will probably have the opener, a solo tale, and in the finale.  I’m thinking the past part, but that seems to be a constant theme in the series.

As usual, suggestions are always welcomed.

18 Responses to Project Phoenix: Gideon

1. Could his daughter be the anti-hero(ine), and it is Gideon’s (and adopted sons’) tragic destiny to come into conflict with her? A play on the “I brought you into this world, and it is my doom to take you out of it sort of thing?” Daughter longs for her lost father, yet hates him for what(ever) happened, blames him, and wants to destroy him?

2. tyroper says:

How’re you holding up with all the snow and cold?

3. Bastet says:

Interesting how he became a dwarf..I like reading these posts…cool to see how you develope and change around your characters.

• To be honest, the guy he’s based on is very much like a fantasy dwarf. He’s got more of a small, manicured beard last time I saw a picture, but he’s got the boisterousness and drinking down to a science.

• Bastet says:

Ah…so it’s not a complete trasformation…just a sort of accomodation to his natural tendancies, interesting.

• Yeah. Though, I might go Orc when it comes down to the final decisions because he likes Orcs. Hard to tell right now because I have so few Dwarven heroes, but a bunch of Orcs.

• Bastet says:

I vaguely remember that you have a particular way of writing about Orcs if I’m not mistaken…there not the Tolkien baddies, or am I mistaken. If you have few Dwarven heros though you might want to continue in that vein.

• Orcs aren’t pure evil brutes. They’re more primal and uncivilized, but they can be good and bad like the other races.

• Bastet says:

Ah yes, I thought it was you who saw Orcs differently! What a difference a few decades can make. Seems not so long ago, in fantasy, well in most genres, the pure evil always had to have a place in the story. We’ve bcome more reflective (if that’s a word) looking for good in everything. Kind of interesting actually.

• I still use pure evil to some extent, but people seem to prefer heroes and villains that are less morally one-sided. I think the morally grey hero is more common than the morally grey villain since some writers/readers would rather it be easier to hate the bad guy.

• Bastet says:

Hmmm…sign of the times I think…must have something to do with all the years of learning to be politically correct 😉

• I think it also has to do with a growing idea that things aren’t as black and white as people once thought. I don’t pay much attention to the whole PC thing, so I’m not sure about that.

• Bastet says: