From what I can see and have been told by those wiser than I, we’re looking at another slow period for book sales. Not just me, but authors in general. People are saving their month for turkeys or, most likely, Christmas shopping. So, I guess this is the panic before the storm.
I’ve only been publishing since February 27th and I’ve finally started to come to terms with these slumps. They aren’t fun, but they’re part of the job. I think this damn deadline looming over my head is making it worse for me and is probably the source of my panicking when I see rankings dip or sales freeze. I’m sure I’m a special case and most people take it in stride. Then again, I’ve been seeing a lot of the posts about pricing and marketing in the last week. The tension and frustration are under the surface if not in your face.
Here are some tips to survive what I’m going to call the ‘Pre-Turkey Slump’:
- Write that next book in the series or write something. Make yourself feel artistically productive.
- Keep on promoting your published works on Twitter, blog, and Facebook. Realize that every sale this month is probably more than what most are doing.
- DO NOT change your book price every few days to see what will happen. If anything, people might think you’re mentally unstable or a toddler is playing with your account.
- Get outside of the house and enjoy the autumn weather. Disclaimer: Blogger not responsible for anyone who walks out into a storm after following this advice. Check the weather before going outside. Also, remember pants.
- Catch up on old friends who forgot you existed because you’ve been J.D. Salinger-ing it for a while now.
- Pick up a new hobby such as origami or fly fishing.
- Realize you have no interest in either of those new hobbies I suggested.
- Go watch a movie. Try to refrain from yelling at the screen about how you could have written something better. That big screen is not your television and you’re shouting at the Let’s All Go To the Lobby short.
- Talk to those other people in the house. I think they’re called family. This might only last a few minutes or days depending on how interesting they are. If these people call the cops on you then there is a chance you’ve been hiding in the basement of a stranger’s house.
- Ignore sales and rankings for a while. Just do your promo work and then walk away from the computer. Use the Smartphone as a regular phone and just spend some time doing nothing. Let the mind wander and see where you go.