Butterfly Haiku

I had a haiku
That was perfect in my mind
It died in my sleep

Seriously, I this haiku about something popped into my head as I fell asleep.  I couldn’t save it.  All I know is that it was once there and now it’s gone like an escaped butterfly.  Will it come back?  I don’t know.  I probably wouldn’t even recognize it if it does.

This entry was posted in Poems and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Butterfly Haiku

1. wambuiihura says:

I love the word Haiku… beautiful piece… 🙂

2. Kira says:

Ugh, I hate when that happens! 🙂

3. LindaGHill says:

It’s that moment when you have to decide to get up and write it down and stay awake for an hour or go to sleep and hope you remember it… which you never do.
    Whatever it was, it ended up producing something beautiful anyway. Very nice haiku Charles! 🙂

• Thanks. I didn’t really have a choice in falling asleep at the point it showed up. It hit at the exact moment I was fading away and was still ‘aware’ of things. It’s happened before and any ‘attempt’ to get up and write it down is typically me thinking I did it, but it was really the start of a small dream.

4. howanxious says:

It is really bad when a perfect verse comes to you but you couldn’t jot it down.. and your mind is so fickle that it would memorize a completely useless information like the baby who peed on your lap, but that verse or poem..

5. I now keep a notepad and pen by my bed… but I still forget to write ideas down half the time. It’s so annoying to lose something that you thought was great. My sympathies :S

They flutter through my mind like butterflies and then I never recall them when I need to. Funny. I really like this one! It about says it all 🙂

You dream of haikus??? (And I’m not sure if that is the plural form of haiku.) I go to sleep or wake up grumbling or tense from a dream, and you have poetic thoughts. Sigh. Must be nice.

8. tjtherien says:

I guess I’m lucky… I seem to remember most of my sleepy thoughts the next day if they are good… but I liked this Haiku

9. bkwrm513 says:

I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep the other night and made the mistake of starting a little poem in my head. Unfortunately my husbands leg had me pinned down and I was so tired, I was too lazy to grab a pen and paper and jot it down. 😦 that was my butterfly…

10. Pingback: Haiku Forecast | Edward Hotspur

11. Bastet says:

Butterfy Haikus flit
    going from flower to heart
    never touching mind!
    We can not keep them near us
    They float beyond memory!

12. Pingback: Tanka for Charles | Bastet and Sekhmet

13. Pingback: Binary Haiku | Missing the Muse

14. Who needs the original thought when you have this?? 😉

15. Pingback: Updating For The Love Of Haiku 29 – allaboutlemon-All Around, In, And Out Of My Own Universe

16. Pingback: 5-7-5 | memaandpoppashouse

17. Mohamed says:

That happens to me allot in music. I have this belief that whenever I forget a part, I come up with a better one, just a belief actually, to calm myself down.

18. Pingback: For The Love Of Haiku 30 – allaboutlemon-All Around, In, And Out Of My Own Universe

19. Pingback: I Spotted a Beautiful Butterfly | picturemypoetry