Zoning out can be pretty useful. It can also come with several risks if you do it in the wrong place. Should you avoid it? No, but be careful by following these Pros and Cons.
- Pro– You can focus on a thought with no distractions. Nothing else is important at this point, so enjoy the ride and see what you come up with. Betting many problems were solved this way.
- Con– Staring ahead because you’re unaware of your surroundings can result in getting slapped. People won’t realize you’re zoned out. They just know you’re staring at them without blinking and occasionally making weird facial expressions. This is very dangerous for men in public.
- Pro– Zoning out could be a sign that you’re overstressed. So, now you know that you need to get some relaxation. You might feel a little refreshed after zoning out, but know that it’s just enough to get you to when you can really rest.
- Con– There is a chance of falling asleep. This can lead to snoring, drooling, and falling out of your chair. Not a problem at home. Embarrassing in public. Dangerous if you’re driving.
- Pro– Mentally escape a boring or stressful situation. If you can’t physically get out of a situation and nobody is really paying attention to you then you can zone out. Let your mind get away while your body goes through the motions of existing.
- Con– Missing conversations and lectures if you zone out at the wrong time for way too long. Not everyone is willing to repeat themselves and most will take offense at having been ignored.
- Pro– For authors, you can get some ‘writing’ time in without having to write. Zoning out allows us to process ideas that are struggling in our subconscious. That story twist giving you trouble? Zone out and see where you go with it.
- Con– Always a chance that what your subconscious comes up with is junk. It doesn’t have to deal with the brunt of criticism and rejection. It just hordes the trauma in the hopes of using it for later antics. Trust your subconscious to a certain point, especially when you have it take the wheel.
- Pro– Helps you remember things you may have forgotten. Again, it’s the subconscious doing something useful.
- Con– Makes you forget what you were doing. Again, it’s the subconscious being a pain in the rear.
That’s what I came up with. Anybody have other pros and cons of zoning out?