How Do Dawn Fangs Have Babies?

Yahoo Image Search

First, never look up ‘vampire babies’ on an image search.  The results are terrifying and still haunt my dreams.  I assume since I’m writing this at the end of February.  Still, they were freaky and not helping me with the topic.

So, it’s been established that Dawn Fangs (Windemere vampires) are able to give birth to ‘live’ young.  In War of Nytefall: Savagery this comes into play.  You’ll find out how when you read the book.  The point of this post is to explain how these vampires can give birth.  This was explained in the series, but I still get a sense that people don’t fully understand.  Mostly because I can’t just plop the info down like a science lesson.  Also, I’ve noticed that many of those who ask haven’t read the books.  Figure it makes for an interesting topic, so here we go.

*Warning: Sex will be mentioned in passing.*

Dawn Fangs can have sex like everyone else and it involves the same type of fluids.  Since all the gametes are in play, pregnancy is possible.  Gestation is typically the same as with a mortal being 9-10 months, but certain powers and diets alter the timeline.  Not to mention that there are spells to hurry pregnancy along if there are complications or unique situations.  That’s not really important here.  After the proper amount of time, the female Dawn Fang will give birth to a baby . . . Sort of.

This is why things didn’t run smoothly when they began giving birth.  Dawn Fang babies are born without a pulse, so they can be mistaken for dead.  Now, there can be miscarriages and stillbirths with these beings.  Don’t think that isn’t possible and a Dawn Fang baby can die if it isn’t given the mother’s blood within an hour of being born.  This awakens the baby’s system and it begins doing the normal routine of crying, eating, sleeping, pooping, and occasionally crushing things with superhuman strength.  All Dawn Fang babies are more with ridiculous strength in the same way that human babies have that surprising grip.  It does fade over time unless it’s one of their special abilities, but they can be dangerous for non-Dawn Fangs to raise.

So, when do they get their special powers?  Not until they reach early teens such as 11, 12, or 13 years old.  Prior to that, all Dawn Fang babies have the ability to control mortals as body guards, which are called Utukku.  This only happens when they don’t have a parent and the victim can be released at any time.  If the mind control hasn’t been going on for more than week then the person doesn’t remember what happened.  Beyond that creates long-term memories, which can lead to issues.  Utukku gain enhanced physical abilities, so those that remember tend to push for full vampirism to maintain or go beyond those superhuman levels.  This is a big reason why Clyde is very careful about Dawn Fang pregnancies because they are a risk to his people staying a secret.  Not to mention they can become unruly once their powers appear, which creates a strong desire to test them out and experiment.

Diet-wise, Dawn Fang babies start on the blood of their mother and, occasionally, their father.  Like a mortal baby, they move onto solid food as they mature in the same progression and temperament.  Education is the same, so there really isn’t much of a difference beyond powers, fangs, and having blood.  In fact, one could say that Dawn Fang children growing up among mortals increases the chance of them seeing people as more than food.  Another step in the right direction for vampire/mortal relations.

Finally, a Dawn Fang baby can come from the union of a Dawn Fang and a mortal.  This doesn’t always mean that they will be a vampire.  The genetics get a little strange and fantastical at this point.  I would say there is a 75% chance that the child is going to be a Dawn Fang, which means 25% of them being a mortal.  This hasn’t come up yet because the Dawn Fangs haven’t done much in the way of breeding with mortals.  Any who have are staying quiet or left the baby with the mortal parent.  Now, you also have racial, which adds to the confusion.  If both parents are Dawn Fangs then it’s a half-breed such as half-elves and half-orcs.  A mortal parent changes that to it being one or the other.  This time, the 75% is on the mortal’s side and the 25% is the Dawn Fang.  For example:

A human mortal and an elven Dawn Fang have a child.  They have a 75% chance of being a Dawn Fang and a 75% chance of being human.  So, it’s more likely that they will be a human Dawn Fang.

To be fair, I’m not going to be playing the odds in books where this comes up.  All Womb Born will simply be there and they are the way they are.  No sense in bringing math any further into this.  On that note, hope this clears some things up.  If not then feel free to ask in the comments.

About Charles Yallowitz

Charles E. Yallowitz was born, raised, and educated in New York. Then he spent a few years in Florida, realized his fear of alligators, and moved back to the Empire State. When he isn't working hard on his epic fantasy stories, Charles can be found cooking or going on whatever adventure his son has planned for the day. 'Legends of Windemere' is his first series, but it certainly won't be his last.
This entry was posted in War of Nytefall and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to How Do Dawn Fangs Have Babies?

  1. That gets complicated. What are the chances on the last one that it would be elven?

    Like

  2. Amazing stuff. I like the idea of super strength for a while. Do they ever need it or is it fust a vestage?

    Like

  3. Do Dawn Fang babies need their super strength?

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s