Goal . . . Eh, I’m Not Feeling It Today

To be honest, I don’t wanna do this.  I would normally talk about how my week went and then a bit about what’s coming up.  But . . . This week sucked . . . hard . . . like a vacuum with something to prove.  Right down to the very end too.  If there was any good then it got overshadowed, so I don’t know what to do here.

I can’t even get into it because it’s either work or personal stuff that shouldn’t be aired in public.  Things just kept going wrong.  Were there pluses?  Well, my son aced a science test.  More importantly, he majorly aced a math test that he had to take on his own in school and did it without needing his extra time.  He came close to failing this subject in the first quarter, but he’s done amazing now.  So, it goes to show how far he can go when he gets comfortable and we figure out his nuances.  His reward, thought it wasn’t intended to be that, is a father/son trip to the zoo tomorrow.  I’ll try to get some good pics for a Sunday post because I’m running out of ideas for those.

Let’s see . . . I didn’t get any writing done.  I do get the first covid vaccine shot today.  I think the order differs from state or county though.  Teachers got on the list here and I managed to snag a spot.  I’ll be resting after that if the little guy lets me.  Monday is the promise of video games since it’s a 3-day weekend.  Maybe watch a movie or cartoons depending on what else we do.  I should convince him to do some drawing too since it’s been a while.  It’s very cold, so our activities are limited.

Next week might see some writing getting done around Thursday.  Prior to that I have meetings and my son who I want to have time with.  I have 25 sections left of Do I Need to Use a Dragon? and that might take me to the end of February.  I thought I’d get one or two done this weekend while my son slept, but I’m not feeling it.  I can feasibly get 15 done during the next period that he’s with his mom even with a party one that I’m going to one night.  That leaves me 10 and then the hard part.  What to do after that?  I guess finally get back to outlining fiction while I figure out if I should send the tip book out for some people to look at.  I’m still nervous about that because it’s about opinions, so I don’t know how beta readers take to that.

Only other stuff I did was watch some shows.  I finished up ‘Slayers’ Seasons 4 and 5, so that entire anime series is under my belt.  Can’t find the movies though.  I started a smaller one called ‘Angel Links’ since ‘Disenchanted’ got new episodes yesterday.  ‘Angel Links’ is 13 episodes and it’s connected to one of my favorite series called ‘Outlaw Star’.  I put the intro up top.  I don’t know if it’s a popular or obscure anime, but it was on when I was in college.  I actually did a Halloween costume as the main character, who has bright red hair.  The spray didn’t come out for a while and washing it the first night made it look like somebody exploded in the shower stall.  Wish they did more.  Anyway, that’s what I’m doing TV-wise.

Well, I’m not able to drag myself along any more.  Next weekend should have more since I get father/son time and a few more stories.  I hope.  Honestly, I thought this week was going to be better than the last.  I said it out loud and everything short of severe injury happened.  I say severe because I ended up stabbing my thumb with a broken staple that a kid left in a stapler.  Is anybody really surprised at my luck lately?

Goals of the week:

1. Zoo trip tomorrow.
  2. Time with sun.
  3. Covid shot in a few hours.
  4. Survive everything else.
  5. Writing.
  6. Puzzle.
  7. Try to get some extra sleep.  Been hard since I’ve had some strange sleep things happen this week.  With the stress, is anyone surprised?  I used that already.  Sorry.
  8. Put on socks or slippers soon.
  9. Crud!  I forgot the laundry while I write this Friday night.

This entry was posted in Goal Posts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Goal . . . Eh, I’m Not Feeling It Today

1. Every time I read your writing it’s amazing. No matter what you write you seem to add flavor to it. Thanks so much for sharing your week with us. I hope this coming week is better. Looking forward to see what you write next. C SA

2. Eventually, you reach a point where it almost has to get better. Not feeling it is a good thing, too. Sometimes we have to step away and humor ourselves for a day.

3. Wishing you a better week next week.

4. ospreyshire says:

Props for rediscovering Outlaw Star. That’s an underrated work. I don’t think it’s obscure since it was on Toonami, but let’s be honest that it didn’t get as much recognition as DBZ, Sailor Moon, or Gundam Wing who shared airtime with it. The theme song is such a banger, too. Hahaha! I also swear that Firefly was heavily inspired by that anime.

• Outlaw Star also had the fact that it was only one season. I thought it was more with Cowboy Bebop, which overshadowed it. I’ve heard the Firefly thing before and forgot if the years matched up.

• ospreyshire says:

True. Cowboy Bebop did get more popular even though Outlaw Star predates it. Don’t worry, Cowboy Bebop is totally it’s own thing and I wouldn’t call it a rip-off. Yeah, there were some similarities with the space western things, both main characters wearing brown coats, and there’s a scene with a female character hidden in a giant suitcase (Melfina and River respectively).

• Bebop was so close to Outlaw Star that I wouldn’t be surprised I was being designed already. Think their debuts are only months apart in Japan. Bebop came to the States first though if I remember correctly. With Firefly, I think there was more including humor style and it revolving around a group of outlaws. Melfina and River debuting are definitely strangely similar.

• ospreyshire says:

I think Bebop came first, but I don’t think it was that long of a time gap. Outlaw Star was a manga first before it got adapted. Firefly and Outlaw Star did have moments of humor even though that humor was different with both shows. Yeah, those characters’ respective debut scenes are so similar, it kind of makes you wonder.

• Okay. Looked it up. Outlaw Star was a minor manga in September 1996 and Bebop was one in September 1997. It does look like Bebop had a tighter release schedule. Both had few volumes with Bebop ending in 1998 and Outlaw in 1999. Anime was Outlaw in January of 1998 and Bebop in April of 1998. The thing is that they share the genre in manga, but that’s really it. I think the space western concept was popular in general at that time in Japan. Trigun an anime around the same time as Bebop and the manga predates Outlaw by a year. It’s just that all 3 got to the States around the same time.

I’ve always questioned Whedon and how original he is at times. Only because he gets angrily defensive when criticized in such a way.

• ospreyshire says:

Thanks! I knew Outlaw Star came out before Bebop, but I forgot the exact dates. It was certainly close with both the anime and manga timing. Good call with Trigun, too. I forgot the manga came out before either, but none of them steal from each other. Makes me wonder what would happen if Vash, Gene, and Spike were to meet at a bar or something. Haha!

Very interesting. I wasn’t aware of that with Joss Whedon being that angry if he’s questioned with his movies and shows. Granted, I’m not a hardcore Whedon fan, but I’ve certainly seen some of his works.

• I think there used to be sites dedicated to those three meeting. I can’t see them getting into a fight. Spike is too laid back and Vash tries to stay out of trouble. Gene can’t hold his liquor very well. I’m betting they’d be hanging out and having fun, but the bar would still be destroyed somehow because Vash the Stampede is involved.

I’m not a hardcore fan either, but I’ve stumbled onto interviews and articles.

• ospreyshire says:

That’s not surprising. I’m sure the interaction would be hilarious and I could see them getting along. Them teaming up against some villains would be pretty cool. Yeah…a bar wouldn’t last very long because Vash. 😛

Gotcha. It does make me wonder. Even the stuff I liked from him wasn’t the most original out there and I’m not talking about things he’s adapted like The Avengers for example.

• Vash, Gene, and Spike vs Knives, Harry McDougal, and Vicious. Yikes.

Good point. Even Buffy worked off pre-existing lore of vampires.

• ospreyshire says:

It certainly would be an intense battle, that’s for sure.

Sure thing. That makes sense about Buffy.

5. Congratulations to your son. Beyond that… WOW! I don’t know what to say except to tell you I hope this week goes better.

6. How old is your son? I had a phobia of maths when i was a kid but kudos to your son coz he overcame his fear and did good.
    Also you have such a hectic schedule. How do you cope up with so many things all together?
    #MyWordsKraft

• He’s 11. There wasn’t so much fear towards math, but it was a sudden jump in complication. He’s been having to learn new skills that most of his peers already have on top of the material. It’s been a really tough year made worse by covid.

Honestly, I always feel like I’m failing at my goals. Never enough time.