As I was getting ready to publish War of Nytefall: Eradication, I began looking through comments on old posts. My target was anything dealing with the Dawn Fangs that people didn’t seem to understand. Now, I have explained everything in the books, but only 20-30 people would know that. This means I get a lot of comments on the blog where people jump to conclusions about vampires that don’t hold true with Dawn Fangs. I’ve had to repeat myself in responses, so I’m happy to make posts that clarify things. Feel free to ask anything else though.
For now, I’m going to tackle a question that will answer others:
How do Dawn Fangs ‘hide’ among mortals?
Hide might not be the best word because they aren’t lurking in the shadows. Dawn Fangs are living out in the open with jobs, friends, and social interactions. They can be a mortal’s neighbor, teacher, butcher, tavern owner, or anything. At this point in their history, they can keep the illusion going even though they don’t age. It all comes down to Clyde’s dream, which is to prove that Dawn Fangs can live among mortals without being a danger and already being there for decades is an important step. Not every one of his followers is a warrior. In fact, most aren’t because he has pushed them to go for any career or path that they want. A Dawn Fang is more likely to be a florist than a fighter.
This wouldn’t be possible if they acted like the monsters that people assume they are because they’re vampires. The fact that they are even trying shows that they are more human than people realize. If you come to understand this then the series makes a lot more sense because you’re no longer looking at it purely as ‘monsters vs monsters’. The action scenes and grand adventures are fun, but the Dawn Fangs future really lies in those who have integrated into mortal society. Now, how are they able to do this without revealing themselves?
- Dawn Fangs are able to eat mortal food and gain nutrition from it. This means they can join in feasts, host parties, and go grocery shopping. They aren’t sitting in a corner and avoiding the appetizers because they’ll get sick. Food plays an essential part in so many social constructs and events that this is a big necessity. It also means they don’t have to drink a lot of blood or fall to a blood thirst if they go without for very long.
- Dawn Fangs have heartbeats and warm skin. One difficulty with vampires is that they are easy to figure out once you touch them. Without a beating heart, their skin is typically cold unless they have just eaten blood. It’s a dead giveaway that something is wrong. With a Dawn Fang, you can’t tell the difference between holding their hand or that of a mortal. The exception is if they are sick or badly injured because their bodies can cool quickly if blood is directed more for healing. Either way, this means they can see a doctor for a basic examine and pass the test.
- Dawn Fangs can feed from a mortal without killing them. This means that they can reveal themselves to one or two people who are willing to be fed on every now and again. Even without that option, it means they can get blood from livestock without leaving bodies, which is a big sign. Because they can survive off food, this isn’t as big a need, but they do require some blood ingestion every week.
- Many Dawn Fangs were old-world vampires first and have had years to perfect various trades. Others were turned specifically because they had knowledge and skills that would help with integration, but not the position to ply them. This helps them enter a city and build a business fairly quickly. Due to have eternity, they are even willing to start at the bottom and work their way up. This might not be a big thing, but it’s an important mortal trait that many old-world vampires have forgotten.
- With the revelation that Dawn Fangs can have children, they are now able to have families. Another minor quirk to the illusion, but it shows that they are not that different from mortals. It does get a little complicated since the babies will be less likely to hide their nature than adults. Still, many have figured out ways around this problem. For example, a husband might say the new mother and child are with a distant family member because it was a difficult pregnancy. In reality, the mother and child would be with Gregorio or on Nytefall to get everything set for their return.
- Dawn Fangs do not have the blood lust or battle lust that other vampire types are known for. Yes, Clyde has that second problem, but he’s a unique case due to his creation. Being trapped in a dark cavern for 50 years probably didn’t do him any wonders either. All the other Dawn Fangs are able to act rationally and not be a danger in most situations. Extreme damage and danger may cause them to flip out, but nearly every organism has the fight or flight reflex.
I hope this clears up a few things. Some may be kind of stretches, but I wanted to cover all bases.