When deciding on a vampire society and how public it is, one has to consider as many angles as possible. After all, they have to live alongside their prey similar to lions and cheetahs. You don’t see those other predators pretending to be gazelles, so it’s more difficult for vampires. That makes it fairly complicated, but maybe the following list can help.
Pros to Hiding Among Humans
- Easy access to prey.
- Being around modern society reduces the risk of anachronism.
- A vampire can create and maintain a business to cover a pack who would work for them.
- Easy way to find new recruits.
- Be aware of new threats coming into the area.
Cons to Hiding Among Humans
- Higher risk of being found out.
- Having to deal with the fictional vampire fandoms without laughing.
- Being discovered by mortals who are desperate to become vampires.
- Easier to be found by hunters.
- Takes more time and effort to hide bodies.
- Excuses needed for avoiding sunlight, garlic, or other weaknesses.
Pros to Staying on the Outskirts of Society
- Able to build up a vampire society with little outside influence.
- More space to plant traps and secret hideouts.
- Privacy for training new recruits.
- Room to create a storehouse of food with little chance of discovery.
- Less fear of being discovered.
- Easier to dispose of bodies.
- Limited exposure to vampire fandoms.
Cons to Staying on the Outskirts of Society
- More work and travel to find prey.
- Less chance of knowing when danger has arrived.
- One slip up can take out the entire thing and you have run further into the wilderness.
- Anachronism is much more possible.
- Infighting and upward mobility become a form of entertainment.
These are only a few and the lists would be different for other authors. Feel free to add your own in the comments.