Necrocasting is basically necromancy, but Windemere used slightly different terminology with their casters. Now, this school of magic isn’t as easy as people think. You don’t just snap your fingers and up pop zombies. So, here are some tips for those looking to raise the dead.
- Make sure there are corpses around for you to work with. Movies and TV shows make it look like you can raise the dead from any distance. Only masters and deities can pull this off. Even then, why would you want to? Your army is now several miles away and starting to wander in random directions. I don’t care what rating that Uber driver has, you’re not getting there in time to take control of the situation.
- If you’re just starting out then work with basic undead first. Skeletons are easy and more obedient than ghasts, ghouls, and other unique species. Zombies always depend on what they were in life. A raised human is one thing, but raising a zombified dragon during your first week means you’re reading the book backwards. Also, don’t raise vampires without permission. They’re a little more complicated and have self-awareness, which means show your manners.
- Best to raise people that you didn’t kill in the first place. Now, there are spells to wipe the memory of an undead servant, but those can be undone. Safer to only mess with the corpses that you didn’t make in the first place. There is a way around this though, so stop pouting. Hire or raise somebody to do the killing for you. See? Now, go out there and claim that Paladin, who I’m sure won’t turn on you as soon as he remembers he was trained to smite the unclean.
- Get yourself a hidden lair and DO NOT put a sign on the front. Don’t sign into Facebook from there either. Necrocasting is a dark and disturbing art, which will terrify most people. In other words, don’t try to raise skeleton at the local Starbucks because your sister is having a sleepover at the house. Seriously, show some professional pride and lurk in the shadows like you’re supposed to.
- Learn some anatomy because just saying the spells and having the magic doesn’t guarantee a perfect creation. Bodies rot and not everyone died peacefully, so you might have to do some repairs. The internals aren’t important for most species, but know how to connect the bones to give some mobility. Kind of embarrassing when your entire zombie army is flopping around like fish out of water or can only move by doing The Worm.
- Stock up on sewing needles and strong thread. Like I said before, repairs might need to be made.
- Whatever the shadowy creature in the corner tells you, it isn’t always necessary to make a demonic pact to create the undead. It will make things easier, but the trade off is that you’ll eventually be forced into servitude and probably become a zombie yourself. Freelancing as a necrocaster is lonelier and tougher, but you’re your own boss and the undead know that there’s nothing stronger behind you. There’s also much less of a chance of the inevitable betrayal and many who take this path eventually turn into the ultimate corpse worker: A Lich. Doesn’t that sound nice? Let’s see that shadowy monster of evil promise you that. Well, I guess he could, but there are still strings attached.