Questions 3: Wanna Be a Dawn Fang?

Yahoo Image Search

Yahoo Image Search

We’ll see how this goes since it requires a little more explanation.  All Dawn Fangs possess 3 unique powers instead of the same handful of abilities that the Old World Vampires have in Windemere.  Think of them like mutants from X-Men to get an idea of the variety even though I never really went that far.  Now the powers fall into the following categories with there being one of each:

• Body–  A physical power like super strength, growing claws, spitting fangs, or anything that depends on body condition.
  • Mind– A mental power like telepathy, telekinesis, language abilities, or anything that depends on mental condition.
  • Aura– This is a magical, unique ability that transcends the physical and mental in some fashion.  For example, Mab is able to travel through shadows and another vampire who can coat a weapon in his blood to mimic a Chaoswind weapon.

The questions are of course:

1. What body power would you have?
  2. What mind power would you have?
  3. What aura power would you have?

So have fun becoming Dawn Fangs.  Be interesting to see if anyone turns themselves into one of my future vampire characters, but that last category will make that tough.

Want to learn more about Dawn Fangs?
Read THE MERCENARY PRINCE!
CLICK THE COVER!

Mercenary Prince Cover

Cover Art by Jason Pedersen

This entry was posted in Questions 3 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Questions 3: Wanna Be a Dawn Fang?

Answers:
    1. What body power would you have?
    Super strength would be nice. Along with super strength, the ability to grow and detract claws like a cat would work really well, especially if need to bust through something or pick a lock.

2. What mind power would you have?
    I’ve always been a fan of telekinesis, ever since I read CARRIE ages ago. I would have said telepathy. But as Charles Xavier has proved, sometimes you get sensory overload from the thoughts of others.

3. What aura power would you have?
    Ooo. Mab’s ability to travel through shadows is awesome. Sign me up for that! It would be like being a ninja for real.

• 1. Sadly, Dawn Fangs can only get one of each power. It’s a genetic restriction to avoid going feral.

2. Interesting thing about telekinesis is that it can mimic other powers. Why have super strength when you can do the same thing from afar with your mind? It can mimic levitation, flight, and lock picking too. 😀

3. I think Mab is growling. 😉 There’s actually more about her power than I can reveal on the blog. Best I can say is that it’s similar to Nightcrawler’s teleport taking him through another dimension for a second. She just stays in the shadow world for long and always has the risk of getting attacked by the locals. So it’s definitely a high risk power.

• L. Marie says:

Super strength is just fun to have. I wonder though if there are limits to telekinesis. I don’t think I’ve read a book where someone with this ability picked up a building. That’s not to say that a person with this ability couldn’t do it. But minds are breakable. That’s why I like the X-Men. We see the consequences to having power like this.

• I think telekinesis usually has limits, but a lot of times it’s used like a mental muscle. The more you work it out, the heavier things you can lift. Like you can build up to a building or car being lifted. For some reason, I don’t remember later X-Men comics having much in the way of consequences. Though Cyclops definitely had the worst one, so that probably makes up for the rest.

2. I always liked Reed Richards. I want the ability to stretch and move like him.

I want to move objects with my mind. There might be some limitations, but it would make cleaning house much easier. (Does that make me more of a Jedi than a Dawnfang?)

My aura trick would be to look ten minutes into the future, by focusing on that person. Could win a lot of sports bets that way.

• Stretching can definitely help catch prey that are further away. Could even squish into tighter spots to wait for someone to come near. As far as the telekinesis, it’s a fairly common power among magic-users, mutants, and fiction in general. So still a Dawn Fang instead of a Jedi.

Interesting one. That can help in battles too.

3. C.E.Robinson says:

Charles, it’s fascinating to read your posts with fantasy questions. I try to come up with answers but fall short. Still I love reading the comments to learn more about how fantasy authors think! Thanks for the lessons! Chryssa

This is fun. Body: I don’t want to be too physically strong for my own good, but I’ve always wanted to be able to see through walls or long distances clearly. Mind: You brought up one I hadn’t thought about. Wouldn’t it be fascinating if you could speak and understand any language spoken in this global world we live it. That would be a terrific superpower. I don’t know if I understand aura so well: but I’d find it useful to be able to stop someone else’s pain or to inflict pain on an enemy with my mind. As an empathetic person, I’m sensitive to feelings already, but being in better control of that empathy would likely help me avoid bad situations.

• I like how you went for sensory powers. People tend to overlook those for some reason. That mental is a lot of fun and I gave Luke a variation that only lets him understand a language after a minute of exposure. He can’t speak or read it though.. Such a power would definitely make the world an interesting place. The pain stuff works. Are you talking about physical, mental, or emotional pain? Almost sounds like you’d transfer the pain from a victim to an enemy too.

• sknicholls says:

That would be cool…to transfer the pain someone was inflicting onto their victim back to the perpetrator. I was primarily thinking of physical pain, but it could work for metal as well. The feeling of emotional suffering the molested feel should be felt by the molester. In a way, that’s a God-like power. Certainly adds a whole new dimension to Karma.

• I think a comic book character named Ghost Rider had something similar to it. A magic stare that made the evil-hearted feel the pain they inflicted, but I could be wrong. With you mentioning it being God-like, I can now see how it would be abused. Be interesting to see a story where you have two people with this power going against each other.

5. What body power would you have? The ability to grow sharp stainless steel talons
    What mind power would you have? To make anyone afraid, no matter how strong they are.
    What aura power would you have?To be able to be invisible at will

6. noelleg44 says:

Body power: Acute hearing
    Mind power: Ability to make myself invisible
    Aura: Ability to read another’s mind

7. adeleulnais says:

1. Body power – Growing steel claws that would come in very handy, (oops) in close quarter fights.
    2. Mind Power – The ability to read thoughts far and wide. Thus the ability to know what your enemy is planning.
    3. Aura power – The ability to become one with the shadows. Easy to sneak up and kill your enemy or to observe them without being seen.