Questions 3: Animal Transformations and You

Snowbird from Marvel Comics

Snowbird from Marvel Comics

Welcome to another installment of Questions 3.  If you don’t know the rules, you can answer in the comments or on your own blog.  All I ask is that you link back here if you choose the later.  These questions are stemming from yesterday’s topic of Spirit Channeling.  Have fun.

1. If you could have any 1 animal form, what would you choose?
  2. What would you use your power for?
  3. Do you think there would be a danger to taking the form of an animal?

Also don’t forget that I have a new book out!

Cover art by Jason Pedersen

Cover art by Jason Pedersen

This entry was posted in Questions 3 and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Questions 3: Animal Transformations and You

1. If you could have any 1 animal form, what would you choose?
    An eagle. They can fly to great heights. They’re also very large, powerful birds.
    2. What would you use your power for?
    I would use my powers for good. Since I would be an unusually enormous eagle, I would swoop down and snatch up enemy troops in my powerful talons. I would also transport tired travelers to far destinations.
    3. Do you think there would be a danger to taking the form of an animal?
    Yes. The form of an animal is rather limiting. You’ve got talons, which can only do so much. There’s the danger of forgetting how to change back or thinking too much like that animal. Also the animal’s diet leaves a lot to be desired. Plus, there’s the danger of being shot by a stray arrow while in flight.

• 1. I’m remembering Beastmaster, but that might have been a hawk.

2. So you would be a Roc more than a normal-sized eagle? I’m also realizing that whenever I ask what people would use a power for, they usually say ‘for good’ and go superhero. Never ‘avoid rush hour traffic’. 😛

3. Took me this long to realize you put yourself in a fantasy world instead of the modern world. The forgetting how to change back is a definite issue if you stay in there for too long. Wonder if the diet wouldn’t be a problem while in that form.

• L. Marie says:

Yes, roc-size like in the the Sinbad stories.
        I usually think in terms of a fantasy world. 🙂 But if I could transform into an animal in the modern world, I could still swoop down on muggers and other predators. The only problem is that many of those carry guns.

• I’d be afraid of hitting planes or scaring military radar installations. As you said, many of them have guns and a giant eagle would be worrisome. Then again, you’d always have a place at Middle Earth conventions. Just have to constantly answer why you never brought the Ring to Mordor.

2. Who knows? I choose an actual wolverine, because they are surly and bitter. They are also an all terrain animal. I would use my powers for self serving purposes, like getting to the top of the mountain faster and enjoying the wilderness more. I’m sure there is a danger — to anyone who gets in my way.

• Loves wolverines even before I heard of the comic character. There was an episode of Wild America that I had on tape with them that I loved to watch. I could see a wolverine-shifter being more of a loner, self-serving type. It isn’t known for being a friendly animal.

3. I have to say wolf because they’re my favourite animal. I’m not sure what I’d do with my powers, except enjoying the freedom of running on all fours and howling at the moon 😉

4. Sue Vincent says:

Dog… then I could have a word with the Small Dog and reach a few agreements about important things like bathtime and who owns the cheese… 😉

5. VarVau says:

One thing I’ve never seen with female animal transformations is another danger entirely, usually played for comedy by sources other than the original:

The animal you’ve taken the form of happens to be in its mating season, and it’s one of ‘those’ animals that’s highly aggressive. And if the character is female, is trapped in this form, and succumbs to this natural cycle for 2 or more weeks, what happens when they change back to human? Would they still be pregnant? Would the offspring survive? Would it be the origin of things like werecats?

Most tend to avoid that little factor on animal life because it so easily induces shudders.

• VarVau says:

And to answer the question:

1. Dolphin.
      2. Ocean exploration. Think of the 6 billion dollars in lost treasure in the world’s oceans.
      3. Depending on where you are, yes.

• I think they touch on that with a few werewolf stories. Probably a big reason it’s avoided is because it borders on bestiality. Given that it’s only the person that changes, they would either still be pregnant or have an immediate miscarriage due to stress on the zygote.

• VarVau says:

Werewolf stories, yeah.

I don’t involve transformations of this kind in my own, though if I were to write a story about someone with this ability, it would likely go this direction as I find the psychology behind it curious.

• It really depends entirely on the level of transformation. If the change includes mental then the person being affected by natural mating seasons makes sense. If their minds remain human then you’d have to explain why they wouldn’t act like one too. As far as the baby, what happens if the change is down to the genetic level? Then you have a human carrying an animal fetus, which might not be biologically feasible.

• VarVau says:

If magic or spirit energy exists in the world, that might alter the scientific principles. And if it runs foul, then you’d have something like human-animal hybrid re-enacting Alien chestbursters.

• For some reason, I don’t think it would be the chest and that’s just messier.

• VarVau says:

Yes, it would probably claw its way out of one’s navel, and break into song like Michigan J. Frog.

6. If you could have any 1 animal form, what would you choose? I think I would like to be a fairly scary wolf. You know drooling and a snarl and bigger than normal
    What would you use your power for? To intimidate tourists to pick up after their dog.
    Do you think there would be a danger to taking the form of an animal? I would guess after a couple of hours the local police would show up and shoot me when I refused to follow their orders or tried to run away.

7. I like Poul Anderson’s approach, that you have to maintain your mass while changing shape. So I would need to research animals that are about 130#… Perhaps a wolf, although many people dislike them and you could be shot. Same problem with bears, although a panda might be interesting. Since I like felines, maybe a smallish cougar or similar cat. I’d love to fly, but I think 130# puts me too heavy for most birds. Or a deer… So many choices! Do we only get to choose one?

What would I do? Enjoy a fresh perspective on life, mainly. Get away to quiet places. That sort of thing.