(I think it took me longer to pick an INXS video for this than write the actual post.)
FIRST: This is the last full week of posts for ‘Legends of Windemere’. I’ll do mentioning my experiences here and not only the good parts. After this week, I’m moving down to a MWFSat schedule and we’ll see what happens. Part of me is thankful for cutting back and another is sad this daily fun is over. Still, 2015 requires me to make tough choices that you’ll see as time goes on. Will I chop my schedule down any more? No idea since I learned something else this week.
There is very little chance of me writing when my son is on break. Not so much because of him, but the noise that other certain adults make when they take over is really abrasive. I think this will make writing over the summer break a real challenge. I’m hoping to have Books 9-10 done by that point. Maybe even 11 if I’m lucky and then I can use that time for editing. I will have Book 9 done by the end of January, which frees February up for a special project. Still I got 2 chapters done this week, but that was more because of the holidays and I had several days of nothing happening. A week where there are no other adults to help might allow me to write 1 chapter by Saturday night. Not a bad run, but way down from the 3-3.5 I typically do. It also requires pushing myself near the end of the week.
My style has gotten weird too. The chapter sections are shorter with more focus, but I wonder if I’m sacrificing characterization for it. This is kicking in around Book 8, which I flushed out during the editing run. So it might just be my way of doing first drafts and I never realized it until now. I’m being a lot more aware of how I do things in order to make stuff easier for my editor.
For anyone curious about the book numbers, CURSE OF THE DARK WIND broke 300 sales yesterday. It’s selling really well even though it keeps slipping down the rankings with a few desperate jumps. The only explanation I have is that other people are selling better and there’s nothing I can do about that. I promote my book, promote myself, and hope for the best. I’m not one of those types to sabotage or fight another author, which I’ve seen happen and it’s really disturbing.
So what am I going to do this week?
- Write some more of Book 9.
- Entertain the child.
- Buy a new winter coat since the one I’ve had for 15 years just lost its zipper. Not in a repairable way either.
- Cook dinners.
- Buy booze . . . I’m making Bourbon Chicken on Friday. What were you people thinking?
- Maybe toy around with a future idea that is blossoming surprisingly well. There’s another one that I’m afraid will have to get chopped. Not really sure. Maybe just a named change since I call it ‘Zombie Girl’ and zombies are so over done. Not really sure where it goes in the grand scheme of things either.
- Do biking whenever I can.
- Watch the NY Giants final game of the season.
- Wonder what to say on the next ‘Goal Post’ since it’ll be the one before the new schedule.
- Find out if I need to make an appointment with JC Penny for a new author photo . . . I need to hide these extra chins.
- Morning addition: Try to remember the indigestion-induced poem that came to my mind while I tried to sleep. This slipped in while tossing, turning, and dreaming about being in a suburb version of ‘The Thing’.