Influenced by Anime: Long Influence List

Last Saturday I mentioned some of the video games that inspired me.  Today I’m moving on to anime, which are Japanese cartoons.

This is a longer list since I was introduced to anime around the same time I started creating Windemere.  Though I watched Sailor Moon before high school since it was the only thing on in the morning for a kid without cable.  I got into Dragonball Z, Tenchi, and the others that Cartoon Network had in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.  Then I moved on to the videos that my friends and I could find.  One incident resulted in us discovering the darker side of this hobby, which is an event that still lives on in infamy.  Anyway, here are a few of the big ones.

Rurouni Kenshin had swords, action, and was a lot of fun.  It also had a habit of switching times and disappearing from the lineup when it was on TV.  Kenshin influenced many of the noble and goofy heroes that I use.  Since he is a character who tries not to kill his enemies (Trigun too!), I found him interesting.  This inspired a future character because I think writing a hero with the power to kill and the desire not to kill is a challenge.  Especially in a world where slaying your enemies is common.

Somehow Greg and I got involved in the manga of this one and then the anime.  This is called a ‘Harem Manga’, which means one male character surrounded by female characters.  In this case, Keitaro is clumsy, kind of dumb, and cursed.  So he isn’t the typical male lead, but ‘Harem’ tends to revolve around a guy who you typically wouldn’t think is interested in women.  The inspiration here affected some of the female relationships because there’s a strange openness between those of Love Hina.  A common event in anime is all the female characters bathing in a hot spring and goofing off.  I guess you can see this a lot in the Sari/Nyx friendship.  This series also helped me realize that my male heroes can be flawed and still work in the story.

I guess this is where I fess up that many of the series that I was initially shown were chosen by a girl.  This one is a strange series and I’ve yet to revisit it because it’s really long.  I think part of my concept of destiny came from this because it’s a big factor in the story.  Also, I gained a love of supporting cast and strove to work on fleshing out those in my books.  (Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach affected that too.)

Great Teacher Onizuka . . . I kept trying to design a school-based story and it never worked.  Main reason for this one on the list is because it made me want to give substitute teaching a try.  That didn’t go very well, but I still love this series.

That one is there only because it’s another favorite.  I can really keep going with videos, but I think I’ve done enough (one more at bottom though).  The list keeps going here.  Outlaw Star, Louie the Rune Soldier, Neon Genesis Evangelion (make that two at the bottom), Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Saber Marionette J, Samurai Champloo Vampire Hunter D, Jing, and I’m really only reading off my DVD shelf right now.  Heck, I just finished watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex this afternoon, watching FMA: Brotherhood when the wife is free, and Trinity Blood is on deck as my background noise for tomorrow.  So I guess this anime/manga is the core of my influence in several ways.  Now for the two videos I mentioned:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Influenced by Anime: Long Influence List

Ah yes, Great list! Dragonball Z!! Spent many an hour watching that. (And it came on at least three times a day.) And Naruto I been watching only in the last couple of years.
    Love Fullmetal Alchemist. But would you believe I’ve only read the manga and haven’t seen a single episode of the anime? I plan to rectify that soon.
    Have you seen any episodes of Kuroko? Loved season 1.

• Not surprised about not watching an episode. I know a lot of people like that since the episodes were on very late at night with not much pomp on CN. I was into Naruto for a bit then it kind of went the way of Bleach for me.

Never seen or heard of Kuroko. I fell out of anime a few years ago and most of my friends aren’t into it.

My youngest son has been a big fan of Anime for years. He has Asperger’s but lives through the exciting lives of these characters. His home burned recently and I’ll be replacing his computer soon. He can’t wait to get back at it.

3. Still in the dark about all of this. Hope to learn more as I go.

4. jowensauthor says:

Good list. Many of them are my favorites, too. Sailor Moon and Slayers were some of my first, as well as Vampire Hunter D and others that Scifi Channel (Syfy) used to show on Saturday mornings. And I love Rurouni Kenshin and Fullmetal Alchemist (currently rewatching Brotherhood right now). Naruto is another I like a lot. Bleach is good too, and Trinity Blood. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop are classics. I could name many more, since I’ve been watching for almost 20 years. But I’m surprised to see you list Jing. I don’t know many who have seen it.

• I’ve only seen a little of Slayers. I could never find it on TV and none of my friends had tapes from the set to check out. We did watch a lot of Vampire Hunter D (first one) in college. One Piece is a fun one, but I’ve only read the manga there. I could probably keep going too.

Funny thing about Jing is that I got the manga first and then stumbled onto the anime while walking around Chinatown in NYC. It’s an interesting series in both mediums. Right up there with Flame of Recca, which I only have in subtitled form.

5. Legends of Windemere in anime, perhaps?

• That would be a lot of fun. If I knew a manga artist then I could start on that route (I continue novels too) and gain enough popularity to warrant a series. Though I’m really in the wrong country for that.

6. Bastet says:

Wow … this was like walking through my older sons’ list of must watch lists when they were younger … must admit that my second son still loves anime and his daughter knows all the karate moves of the various videos he watches … with the proper soundtrack to boot! Loved the post.

• Thanks. I still watch these when I have the time. The trend seems to have died down, so I have no idea what’s worth watching these days.

• Bastet says:

Ach … couldn’t tell you but I do remember the older ones thanks to my boys. The one I liked the best … way back when was Captain Harlock. They recently made that into a film and I must say I preferred the cartoon (oops anime!)

• I’ve heard of that one, but never found it for watching. It’s hard to get into anime because you don’t find stuff on TV or in rental machines that often. Not the obscure things any way. Youtube can help there, but the quality isn’t always a good thing.

• Bastet says:

True … I haven’t seen a Captain Harlock anime in years … I guess that’s in the realms of specialized cartoons. They’re very popular here in Italy though and sometimes one can see them on tv … rental places have just about disappeared like movie theaters btw here in Italy .. this is the land of p2p downloaders.

• Anime can be rare in general in the States. They were huge a few years ago and then the trend kind of died down. The challenge here is that ALL cartoons are seen as childish unlike Japan where they are a more age-spanning storytelling medium. Even if a story is very adult, anime gets the ‘you’re watching a cartoon?’ reaction.

• Bastet says:

Yes … I found that too when I went back to the States … here cartoons are sometimes for adults as well and if you’ve ever seen some of the “manga anime” (I think it’s called) you would definately not what the kiddo to watch them! Funny how once we pigeon hole something it stays pigeon holed.

• Certainly. It’s weird when some of the young adult stuff is brought over here and transformed into little kid cartoons. Makes a lot of head-scratching moments like replacing a gun with a trigger-operated hammer.

• Bastet says:

lol … fantastic metaphor. Stuff like that happens I guess through ignorance or prejudice. It must be strange though.

• That wasn’t actually a metaphor. An anime called ‘One Piece’ was brought over to the States and horribly edited to fit ‘American audiences’. One change was that they removed all guns . . . from a Pirate-based anime. There’s a scene early on where a bad guy is holding a character hostage with a pistol to the head. They changed the gun to a trigger-operated hammer to be more ‘kid friendly’.

• Bastet says:

Oh! Now that is about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard! Like a trigger operated hammer is more kid friendly when held up against a guys head … go figure.

• The company that did the translation is infamous for disrespecting and messing up the source material. They claim a push for kid friendliness and that American kids won’t get some of the references. I think there was a petition to ban them from getting another anime.

• Bastet says:

I think I’d be the first one to sign the petition. Really so stupid .. like American kids are so innocent already. Every other tv show and movie are full of violence and some cartoons are no better.

• A lot of cartoons for little kids are watered down these days. You can’t even find the old Looney Tunes on TV any more. Odd thing is how people will be more up in arms about a character smoking than cartoon violence. I actually don’t mind the cartoon violence when it isn’t over the top and rather mild, but I grew up with He-Man, Thundercats, GI Joe (nobody ever hit anything in that show!), etc.

• Bastet says:

I’ve got the impression, and not by what you’ve written here, that there is so much bottled up violence today that all the watering down serves no one and nothing. The smoking character taboo seems like a new sort of prudishness in the ever searching puritanical preachers of a people who are treated like absolute idiots by the press and the media. Uhm…just saying.

• I’m not sure if it’s a bottled up issue or people growing up not to know about the consequences. In some cases, I think people attempt acts of great violence for the public attention. There’s a disturbing mentality that any fame and attention is good even if you’re hurting someone or gaining a reputation as a psychopath.

The smoking thing is more about parents not wanting their kids to think smoking is healthy or cool. A lot of this seems to stem from parents not wanting to step in to say ‘what this character is doing is bad’. Heck, my son is 5 and caught a few Simpsons episodes. We had a long talk about how what the characters do on TV is fake and shouldn’t be done in real life. Now I have to keep telling him that the show isn’t on TV and we can’t watch ‘The Yellow Dad’ any more. Just to be safe.

7. renxkyoko says:

Most of the animes in your list are in my shelf. How about Eureka ? Blood + ?

• I never got into the Blood series and I watched Eureka on TV. It was fun, but I probably have to watch it again since I was more into the fantasy stuff around that time. A really strange one that I have (which my wife isn’t a fan of) is Excel Saga. Not sure how many people know that one.

8. I like your story. I remember getting into anime in the 90s. Some of the first ones I saw were Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Medabots, and Dragon Ball Z. Then later I watched a lot of Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

9. Ha, that’s very funny. I wish I saw that game, never heard much about it.