Pioneers of Wit (Also Groucho Marx Quotes)

His weapon is his mouth
On the battlefield of wit
Cutting down all his foes
Using their own words
To drive them to the ground

Laughs and smiles
Empower this great wordsmith
Making him immortal
No hesitation in his words
As they sail across the wind

You wonder if he planned
Every word and phrase
Or is his mind that sharp
Able to parry without prep
A nimble wit you cannot contain

These word warriors are rare
Shining stars that are gone too soon
Many long before our time
Pioneers of wit and humor
Their puns will live forever

Groucho Marx Quotes

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend.  Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.”

“I chased a woman for almost two years only to discover her tastes were exactly like mine – we were both crazy about girls.”

“Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife.”

“No man goes before his time / unless the boss leaves early.

“Please accept my resignation. I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member”

“Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana”

“I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it.”

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.”

This entry was posted in Poems and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Pioneers of Wit (Also Groucho Marx Quotes)

1. ace! loved the poem and the quotes!

2. This was very entertaining. I used to watch old Groucho movies when he and his brothers did some pretty funny routines

3. Ellespeth says:

Great poem, Charles. An aside, when I ever become too sad my husband begins quoting Groucho Marx to me 😛 Works like a charm.
    Ellespeth

I remember the rebroadcasts of classic TV like the show You Bet Your Life. Groucho was awesome as host.

5. Bastet says:

great homage…loved it.

6. Reblogged this on Julian Froment's Blog and commented:
    Groucho Marx, one of my all time comedy heroes. Very funny post. Check it out

I loved the groucho laughs. I asked my grandmother once if she thought she would live to see the end of the world. She says, “Every day i wake up and put my feet on the floor I realize that the world as it was yesterday has ended.”

8. Great post Charles. I love the video. Groucho Marx was a legend. A comic genius.

9. phaerygurl says:

I have Charles to thank for my introduction to the Marx Brothers. They never cease to make me laugh, and Groucho amazes me with his wit.

10. Pingback: Lost history: Groucho Marx died on August 19, 1977 | Millard Fillmore's Bathtub

11. Pingback: Groucho Marx: Died August 19, 1977 | Mr. Darrell's Wayback Machine

12. Pingback: Wisdom of the Ages | Adventures of Molly and Jasper