Return to the Old Way

Book News

The free weekend for Beginning of a Hero fell flat at about 275 free downloads.  This is a far drop from the 2,000 of April and this was with advertising.  Makes me think the eBook market in general is having a rough patch.  Tomorrow morning it will be back to .99 cents.

As for Prodigy of Rainbow Tower . . . not sure what I did.  As of writing this post, I have 100 sales for this book.  I did everything I did last time with extra.  All the ad sites, Wattpad, tweeting every day, blogging, the blog blitz, guest blogs, and even found a few new ad sites to try.  Those haven’t kicked in yet.  Could it be the .99 cent pricing during an infamous slow sales time for indie authors?  No idea.  Could it be the use of Facebook groups for promoting?  Another strong possibility since I did that right before the surge happened.  I’ll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

I was planning to do a jump to $2.99 for Prodigy of Rainbow Tower when Labor Day ended.  Now, I’m not sure.  I think somethings have to happen for that.  Most importantly, I want to be on one of the Top 100 Lists.  I know I always want that, but there is another reason here.  On there, I can recover quicker from a bad pricing decision or it can counter it entirely because I’ll be sitting around higher priced books.  Experiment for the future.

The Blog

I’m going to try to get back to my fun zone here this week.  Character origins, debate questions, character interviews, and whatever other fun I can think of will be back.  I’m even thinking of introducing characters from other series in the interviews and origins to give people a full taste of Windemere.  I already know who is going to show up in the an origin post this week and who might get the weekly interview.  I have so many ideas that I need to flush them out.  Unfortunately, this might result in another Project Phoenix post of dismay.

One thing I’m going to try to do is continue the ‘What Do You Like’ posts that get so many great discussions.  I’m going to twist it though.  Monday will be aimed for when you are a reader and Friday will be aimed for when you’re writing.  Let’s share stories, opinions, and preferences.  See if we can crack any literary mysteries.

Potential Showcase

I’m working with Dean’z Doodlez to create a showcase for artists.  More information on this tomorrow night after Dean’s guest blog with a special Legends of Windemere surprise that proves how talented he is.

13 Responses to Return to the Old Way

1. I only got about 150 during my two day promo. I’m inclined to agree with you about the state of the market at the moment. I think Summer is just an odd time for us.

2. kingmidget says:

I’m planning a couple if free days for Bridgeport somewhere in the near future. Your experience is something I worry about. Free isn’t worth it unless you get thousands.

• I would wait until the summer is over or use Labor Day to your advantage. I remember having a pricing issue around Memorial Day. I wanted to go to $2.99 and Amazon put me back to .99 cents a few days before the holiday. I played it off as a Memorial Day sale and got a great reaction.

3. ioniamartin says:

Free days can be tough, but they can also be a rousing success. So hard to choose the right road.

• I know. I haven’t had much luck with continued oomph from free periods, but it might be bad timing. Might use my last 2 free days for Beginning of a Hero around Labor Day.

Could also be the summer slump effect too.

4. tjtherien says:

Charles all you have to wait for is a nip in the are then the reading bug bites… most people will be enjoying the weather…(except in warmer climates) when the wind chills a bit people will be more inclined to curl up with a good book under their blanket… just hang in there…

• I’m hanging in there, but I do hope I don’t have to wait for the colder weather. I need to stay somewhere near the spotlight to keep things afloat. Why can’t people read in the shade of a tree? 🙂

5. spoplawski says:

What about now just floating with the present current without moving your ‘body/mind’? In this way you can find the most solid ‘point’ in your present situation that can make easier planning the next consistent (with maximized confidence) steps forward.

6. Rosie Amber says:

I agree with the summer point, over hear it’s a peak time for people to be away. I did read that July is not a great month to launch a book, somewhere?! After I’d launched my own at a similar time! Don’t forget the old adage that people have run out of money by the end of the month (I know that shouldn’t effect the free book). Try again in October, last year I blogged about “Super Thursday” it was the 11th October when there was a big push of new books for the Christmas market. Or create your own “Super Thursday” inline with the end of the hols and pay packets?

7. Rosie Amber says:

Sorry didn’t mean to sound harsh! I just meant have a little faith and perhaps a new out of the box plan will come to you and you’ll be off again.

• I have a few plans like the Facebook groups and some advertising sites that haven’t kicked in yet. The rough part now is that the first book was destroyed with a bad free weekend. Not sure how to make it recover and the second book isn’t boosting it like I thought.

Again, I find myself cursing the summer and people not buying books during this season. Makes no sense to me since the other seasons are when people have school or busier work periods.