What Keeps Me Going

Last month, I was asked by Julie Green Art to make a list of what keeps me going.  The request came right before I left for my convention, I promised to do it the next week, and forgot.  For taking so long, I deeply apologize and will make sure to keep some sort of system that avoids this mistake in the future.

So, here’s a list of what keeps me going:

1. Tenacious determination.
  2. Blind stubbornness.
  3. Wanting to make my son proud when he’s old enough to have a thorough opinion of me.
  4. Pizza.
  5. The voices in my head.
  6. An obsessive love of writing and telling stories.
  7. Urge to prove my doubters wrong.
  8. Desire to have fun and make friends.
  9. Helpful nature that translates to a near inability to say ‘No’.
  10. Curiosity.
  11. Added on in edit:  A sense of humor.

Might seem like a simple and emotional list, but that’s me.  I’ve begun not having much in the way of physical motivators.  Most of what keeps me going is internal, which probably explains a few of my emotional outbursts.  A few friends have pointed out that I wear my heart on my sleeve even after it’s been stabbed multiple times.  Probably true, but I’m no longer the type to keep things bottled up.  It doesn’t seem to have a benefit.  Anyway, those are the drives behind me.

47 Responses to What Keeps Me Going

1. Great list, Charles.

2. Well yes…. can’t keep going without pizza… for going without, there would never be such a greater atrocity! Ummmm same goes with chocolate (grins)

3. greenembers says:

Charles, you and I would be such great friends in real life. We need to have a D&D game. 🙂

• I’m sure we would. Though, who would run the game? I wouldn’t trust your dungeons after reading your Lich story. 😉

• greenembers says:

Hahaha, we should get a novice dungeon master… and then we get to play! 🙂

• The poor little guy. I’m not sure what I’d do, but it wouldn’t be pretty. In college, I was infamous for doing the unexpected and driving DM’s nuts.

• greenembers says:

I think that is every players job. Oh, you want to move the story over there… well I want to walk in the complete opposite direction… what’s that now.. lightning bolts almost strike my character… 2 hour long discussion proceeds about free will, meta gaming and well you’ve been there. 🙂

• I never got that lecture. Most of the stuff I did fell into the ‘Go ahead. You’re not going . . . damn your dice!’ Best example that doesn’t spoil any of my book stuff:

As Luke, I was helping to defend a city from an army of orcs, goblins, and ogres. We had a dragon on our side, so I was one of the characters on the dragon to fly to the back of the enemy army. As we’re flying by, I went ‘Can I just shoot the general as we go by?’. The DM said yes because it was a nearly impossible shot. Hitting an ogre while flying by on a Gold Dragon and being more swordsman than archer? The odds were in his favor. Until I rolled a few 20’s in a row and one-shot killed the general. Sent the entire army into chaos and the DM tore up his notes. Didn’t talk to me for a week after that.

• greenembers says:

Ahahahahaha. Oh that poor guy. Such a good story, lol.

• I hate to admit that one was tame compared to the stuff that got into the book. I get to write my favorite stunt/scene on Monday. Been waiting to write this since 1999 when it first happened. There’s also my antics as the comic relief Darwin and the psychotic Clyde (Vampire: The Masquerade). I was a full on menace. 😀

4. O yes, those voices… 🙂
    Nominated you for the Best Moments Award! http://petitemagique.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/all-those-awards-how-can-that-be/
    (little voice told me to do that) 😉

5. Sounds like a great list that covers a lot of ground. I might have to use a couple of those bullets in my life as well 🙂

6. I meant to say bullet points, my mistake 🙂

7. keladelaide says:

6 and 10 are high on my list.

8. Sahm King says:

Charles, I just want you to know that you, sir, inspire me. 🙂

9. Great motivators. Always wear your heart on your sleeve! 😀

10. I like those reasons. Well said, sir!

11. Bastettet says:

I love this list…and the edit, point 11 is so important and point 4 of course!…but tell me am I psychic or didn’t I read this list (or maybe it’s cousin?) before? I liked it then and love it now…it’s a happy list! I like getting to know you better. 😉

12. Bastet says:

13. A list similar in most of us, pal. My wife would have had pizza at number one though. Good for you, this was something I really enjoyed reading (and thanks, we’re now having pizza for dinner, which suits me as there is more evil in my wife’s cooking than an al-qaida suggestion box). Keep smiling and keep writing, kind regards, Baldy 🙂

14. safia says:

No coffee, Charles? I can relate to the rest.

15. Did I truly never respond to this? How shit of me! Thank you very much for making this list, it’s fantastic and I enjoy a few of these things too. I deeply apologise for taking so long to respond and I want you to know I appreciate this and I hope it will continue to keep you going 🙂