Cuddly-Looking and Deadly: BEARS!

I remember growing up with a show called ‘Wild America’.  My favorite episode was one where Marty Stouffer raised an orphaned grizzly bear cub.  I didn’t realize it was a movie either because I was entranced by it as a kid.  While tigers and wolves remained my favorite, I still had an interest in bears.  I always love seeing them at zoos and would hope to see one if I was going through a wooded area.  Never got a chance even when I visited family near Bear Mountain, which was aptly named.  Maybe one day even though I hope it’s from a far distance.

Not sure about the endangered categories though.  Most bears are listed as either ‘least concern’ or ‘vulnerable’.  Polar bears are in the latter category even though I swear they’re supposed to be endangered.  Some sites had pandas as vulnerable and others as endangered.  The sun bear is in the same position.  I wonder if it depends on if you’re counting animals in captivity or not.  Either way, these animals are in danger due to:

• Habitat loss
  • Pollution
  • Low birth rate for some species
  • Poaching
  • Taken for the exotic pet trade

Here’s a site with more bear information.  Let’s get to the species:  (All pictures found with Yahoo Images search.)

American Black Bear

POPULATION: 850,000-950,000

Brown Bear (Grizzly and Kodiak Bears are subspecies)

POPULATION: 110,000

Asiatic Black Bear

POPULATION: 50,000

Polar bear

POPULATION: 22,000-31,000

Sloth Bear

POPULATION: 10,000-20,000

Andean or Spectacled Bear

POPULATION: 2,500-10,000

Panda Bear

POPULATION: 1,800 (How is that not endangered?  They’ll be getting a solo post in April because I might get to see some during Spring Break.)

Sun Bear

POPULATION: Less than 1,000 . . . How is that not endangered?

Now for the fun videos.

This entry was posted in Animal Posts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Cuddly-Looking and Deadly: BEARS!

1. noelleg44 says:

We saw Kodiak bears in Alaska, eating berries and fish to pork up for the winter. They did NOT look cuddly!

2. I’ve seen a lot of bears and they’re always cool. Last one I saw was here in Idaho, but must have been a new adult. It was about the size of a border collie. No mom around, so I figured it was on its own.

Liked by 2 people

3. When there is more of “us”,there are less of them.
    I’ve seen more Black bears than most people have seen cats and dogs combined. They are all unique just like humans. They are beginning to wake from torpor state.

4. I have always liked bears too. The videos were precious. That polar bear cub getting frightened by the seal was priceless

The bear situation (dwindling numbers) is really sad. I saw a bear in Pennsylvania while staying with a friend. Another friend saw plenty of bears in Alaska.

6. Chel Owens says:

We saw a bear in Montana. I thought it was a cub but, if what Boyack says is true, it was likely a young adult.

I’ve wanted to write a poem about bears for awhile but worry they will be extinct by the time I publish. That’s so sad.

7. floridaborne says:

The bear fight reminds me of two men fighting in a bar: All brawn and no brains. 🙂

8. acflory says:

Those numbers are chilling. Homo sapiens’ voracious appetite is destroying everything. :/

• It’s a messed up combination. A handful of humans are so greedy that they screw everything up. They also keep everyone else trapped in a position where changing for the better either doesn’t make a global difference or isn’t feasible.

• acflory says:

Yeah. 😦 I wish I knew why humans have this innate drive to create hierarchies where a few have everything and most have very little. History has shown that when the imbalance becomes too great, the boil bursts and many of those at the top of the hierarchy end up losing their heads, one way or another. You’d think simple self-interest would make people and their organisations ‘self-regulate’, but it just doesn’t happen. 😦 We are not as smart as we think we are.

• I think humans are tribal/pack creatures that usually have a hierarchy similar to other great apes. The problem is that we’re also territorial and are designed more for small families. A larger group like society removes us from the ‘survival of the fittest’, which the primitive parts of our brains require. Some are worse than others at fighting it and those are the ones who end up gaining power. At least that’s my theory. It’s like compassion and empathy are fairly new adaptations, which many humans don’t have.

• acflory says:

I think I have to agree, Charles, especially about the compassion and empathy. 😦

9. Jennie says:

It is a sad surprise that there are so few pandas. Wonderful post, Charles!

10. Pingback: *Press This* Cuddly-Looking and Deadly: BEARS! #225 | Its good to be crazy Sometimes