2018 Top 5: #1- An Unfortunate Change of Plans

I wasn’t sure if I should put this up as #1, but it really shows the entire theme of 2018 for me.  There are no tags or categories because this was a spontaneous and crushing announcement.  Some things improved while others went even further south, but I guess part of me wants to revisit this.  Guess I’m also curious as to how this one got the top spot since it was kind of a downer.  Going to add a few notes here as well.

This post went live on August 11, 2018.  (A month that will live in pain and infamy for me.)

*****

So, this is (was) a sticky because I want to make sure people see this.  Everything else is still below and I’m writing this with a heavy heart.  (Not gotten any lighter!)

Due to financial issues and personal developments (UNDERSTATEMENT!), this looks like it’s my last year of publishing.  (Might have been a little too dramatic here, but it felt that way.)  I have to put my time and energy into something that brings in money with the hope that I can return.  Maybe I can release a book or two throughout the year, but I can’t guarantee it.  At best, I can do War of Nytefall: Lost in September and pray that I can get War of Nytefall: Rivalry out in December.  (I didn’t pull off the second part of this.) After that, I can’t make any promises.

My blogging is scheduled until end of October and I might not add much onto it.  (This was just before WordPress told me I was on a massive posting streak.  I’m determined to hit 1,000.)  I’ll do a Saturday update, try to keep up with a few friends, and make a post or two throughout the week once November hits.  Other social media sites will be even more difficult to keep up with in the future.  That’s really only Twitter, so we’ll see what happens there.

I’m not happy about this and I’m crying.  I wish I could have gone the distance and find that lucky break, but my time ran out.  (It still feels this way.)  Thanks to everyone who supported me.  The published books will always be available, so I hope they will not be forgotten.  (Sales say otherwise.)  Maybe things will turn around and I can return.  (If even as a personal project.)  To everyone else who is still in the fray, good luck and feel free to send me a guest post that I can share.  (Offer still open!)  I’ll try to lend a hand to others when I can.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to 2018 Top 5: #1- An Unfortunate Change of Plans

1. Sorry to hear this, Charles – the only thing I can offer is that any time you want to run promos for any of your books, email me with the details and preferred dates…
    Hope your finances and other issues get resolved as soon as possible.

• Thanks. The finances are slowly getting fixed, but that other issue is a long way from being resolved. It was a couple months after this post went live in August that things really fell apart.

I’ll try to think of a promo every now and then to send. Have to admit that I’m having trouble thinking of things beyond a debut and the standard ‘Book is Live’ that I would do on my own blog. Not sure that second option would work.

2. Sue Vincent says:

I remember reading this, Charles, when it first went out. That it was so well viewed should, I hope, be seen as an indcation of how many people care.
    Always space at mine if, and when, you get time. You know you do not have to wait to be asked.

3. We’re human. You have the right to feel this way, and the right to share it. Many people buy books because they like the people behind them. I’m glad things have improved on some level, and I’m sure they will continue to improve.

4. C.E.Robinson says:

Charles, I remember reading this & commenting. Revisiting bad times is a way of grieving & reevaluating where you are. You’re doing that. At least there’s some things better now. Good thoughts today! 📚🎶Christine

5. I remember this one. Your updates certainly keep the situation current. I still think things will get better.

6. Laureen says:

I wish you the best of luck like Wallace D. Wattles explained it in his laws.

All the best to you

Laureen.

7. M T McGuire says:

I’m really sorry to hear this is your number one post and sorry to hear this full stop! The books will always be there, as you say. Do you do promos or give away any? I do a kind of bogof thing and once people join my mailing list they are easier to get hold of and inform when I have a book out than with any other form of communication. I can share them with my list of you like.

Cheers

MTM

8. You’re a writer and always be a writer, even if you never wrote another page. And as a writer, you should know that any good story has to reach the “all hope is lost” point to be worth its salt (usually, around three quarters into the book). It’s not the end of the story, it’s just a finger-biting, page-turning part of it.

9. V.M.Sang says:

So sorry things are so bad. However, the saying that when you reach rock bottom there’s only one way, and that’s up, is true.
    If I can help in any way by running a post or promo, feel free to contact me.

10. Staci Troilo says:

I’m sorry to hear this, Charles. I’m new to your blog, so I didn’t read this the first time. I’m both sad to hear it’s at this point and happy to hear things are a little better. Writer friends and I have similar thoughts and conversations all the time. You aren’t alone, but only you can make the decision to continue or not. I’ll be praying you find peace in whichever choice you make. And in the meantime, as I selfishly wish for you to continue writing, if there’s anything I can do to help, let me know.

• Thanks. The unfortunate thing is that it isn’t an easy decision. Doesn’t even feel like it’s entirely in my hands. To continue writing full-time would require a sacrifice that I’m not willing to make. So, I have to rearrange my priorities. Honestly, this is hard to explain since I can’t go public with the main reason I’m pulling back so much.

• Staci Troilo says:

Well, I don’t want you to compromise a confidentially promise. But I really hope you can rearrange your priorities to eliminate (or at least minimize) your sacrifice. It sucks when bad things happen to good people.

• If only it was confidentiality based. The sacrifice is unavoidable though. Like I said, it’s hard to explain and will probably be months before I can say it in public.

11. Jennie says:

I am hopeful, Charles.

12. Whatever you decide to do now won’t necessarily be forever. You may well take a break for a while but there are still years ahead – not many people are in full time employment after 75 years, so that gives you another 15 years to write.