New Website is Up, Running, and Still Evolving

Cover Art Teaser by Jason Pedersen

Cover Art Teaser by Jason Pedersen

My Author Site is Live!
CLICK HERE

As you can see by clicking above, I now have an author website.  It won’t be updated as often as the blog and we’re still working on additions.  I’m only allowed 5 pages, so we can only do so much there.  The big thing will be using it to announce upcoming releases.  As I said, really simple and it’ll evolve as I do.

One section I’m still working on is the ‘Excerpt’ page.  It’s going slow for 2 reasons:

1. MINOR REASON: Haven’t figured out how to put the documents up there without making a mess.
  2. MAJOR REASON: I have no idea which excerpts to take.  Just one from each published book is the plan and maybe one from the next one in the series.  Hard to figure out if you’re avoiding spoilers and wanting to keep things interesting.

Anyway, that was the big secret project that I worked on all of yesterday and this morning.  Give it a look and enjoy your weekend.

This entry was posted in Guest Blogging, Legends of Windemere, New Project Progress, Spotlight and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to New Website is Up, Running, and Still Evolving

1. The new website is coming along nicely, it is clean and easy to navigate. Great job Charles.

2. Lookin’ good Charles 😀

3. Rosie Amber says:

Very nice I like the moving book covers.

4. LindaGHill says:

Classy! Very clean and sleek. I like that. 🙂
    Any reason you went with Weebly instead of WP?

5. Loved it. I enjoyed the trailer as well.

That’s just way cool and very professional. I would add contact info somewhere. (Maybe I missed it.)

7. MRS N, the Author says:

Excellent design and flow to your website! Way to go Charles! I, too, like the moving covers. As far as excerpts go, I would strongly recommend an excerpt from book one at the very least. 🙂

8. Oloriel says:

Great news, Charles! Looking forward to following you there as well!

9. M T McGuire says:

It’s great. Good look and feel, easy to navigate, eye catching! What’s not to like! Nice one.

Cheers

MTM

10. Seán Cooke says:

Very nice, clean site! The slideshow of covers is cool. And always brings a smile to my face to see you making use of that trailer. 😀

Regarding the excerpts, I’ve always thought that it’s best to avoid spoilers at all costs with them. I’m anti-spoiler anyway, but particularly with excerpts. They should show off the writing and the characters, not the plot. The plot is the part that keeps the entire novel together, the writing is why people read it in the first place. If the writing sucks, the plot doesn’t matter. So maybe choose an excerpt that shows off your writing style best or most represents the novel.

Alternatively, just do the start of each novel. I remember when I read the Darren Shan Saga as a kid, each end of a book had the first chapter of the next one in it (or a portion of the first chapter). This was a real “Tune in next time for…” kind of tag but it really worked. The start of books never have spoilers either (even if they generally do or should tell the readers a lot about the book as a whole), so it’s a safer bet.

• The beginning of each book would be a problem. They would reveal the ending of the previous books. It gets harder and harder to choose stuff as the series progresses.

• Seán Cooke says:

Ah that’d be tricky alright! I’m not sure if you can do it with the Weebly site or not, but you could always do it and have a spoiler tag which hides the excerpts, unless clicked on, in the similar fashion that many forums have it. That way, people can read the excerpts with a warning and will still provide the hook for each book. It’d be a safe bet in my eyes because naturally, people won’t read an excerpt for book two until they’ve read book one, so they’ll be happy that you’ve shielded them from it.

Also, on a side note, if you’re still using your Luke Callindor email, give it a check. 🙂

• I can probably post a warning at the top of the page, but that doesn’t always work.