Questions on a Hot Day

First, how’s everyone doing near the end of summer?  I’m exhausted and still running around.  This is being written in a 5-minute break from the son.

Second, I’ve been wondering something about Kindle Unlimited.  Does this cause some authors to count the borrows in her overall ‘sales’ numbers?  For example, if you have 20 sales and 10 borrows, do you say that you have 20 or 30 overall?  I’m really curious because I’m not counting them while I’ve seen a few authors announce high levels of borrows and sales.  So just curious about opinions here.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Questions on a Hot Day

1. I wouldn’t know I’m afraid but it’s an interesting question you raise here Charles. And important too. Let me know if you get an answer! 🙂

2. Sue Vincent says:

No idea either, Charles… I was attracted by the words ‘hot’ and ‘summer’ in the same phrase… August, wet and freezing here!

3. Summer is great thanks. Can’t help on the Kindle question. Not on Select. Sorry.

Summer has been hot and rainy, so humid. Not in Select either, but curious because I am wondering which way to go when next I publish.

• It depends on if you want to use Smashwords, Kobo, and B&N too.

• sknicholls says:

RC&R is on all of those and more, but my total sales on other platforms don’t come close to Amazon. So I’m wondering if Select is the way to go. Then this Kindle Unlimited thing came out…now I’m not so sure I like it.

• Kindle Unlimited is basically an on-line library of Amazon exclusive authors. You get a little money if someone downloads your book and reads up to 10%. I’ve been looking at it as extra on top of the regular sales since I can’t control if a person reads that far or not.

5. I add them up to see how many ‘royalty-paying reads’ I average daily. Those customers read my book, and whether they paid specifically for my book or for the subscription, they did pay. I think it’s fair to call it a sale. I’m thinking the distinction between sales and borrows is more significant for authors who receive drastically different royalties between the two.

6. Jack Flacco says:

Hey Charles, first of all, end of summer’s been crazy here. I’ve been tied up with projects galore, more than last year this time. The mugginess has returned as well, at least until next week, so it’ll be a swelterer out there (is swelterer a word? idk). Secondly, that video–is it getting hot in here? 🙂 Love the band, always have. And lastly, I think you have the Kindle Unlimited concept right. If they read past 10%, you can include it as a sale. Whereas now, any download is a sale, regardless of reading status.

• I’m counting down the days until school starts again and the weather cools off. We have some brutal humidity for the next day or two. Thanks for the opinion on the Kindle Unlimited too. That actually puts my newest book over 500. 🙂

7. Ellespeth says:

The quiet of summer ended today – we’re back at the church two mornings a week watching toddlers while the moms have a meeting/break. I’m hoping we slow down a bit 😛
    Ellespeth

The temperature is hot and muggy here. I can’t say this has been the most exciting summer I’ve had.
    I wish I knew the answer to the Kindle question, but I don’t either.