Charles Versus Leaky Ceiling

Years ago, I lived in Florida and the best job I had there was working at Hollywood Video.  For those confused, this was video store chain where you could rent or buy movies.  You would be surprised how often I’ve had to explain that.  Anyway, I was a shift leader and would occasionally have shifts by myself.  That’s where this story happens.

Florida has rain.  A lot of rain and that tended to mean a slow day.  Well, it was pouring enough that I could barely see the parking lot.  It was quiet until I heard a distant slap.  It was strange and I followed it to the comedy section.  The ceiling above had begun leaking and the water was pounding on the plastic cases.  The shelving units were made of press board, so the water would destroy it if it started coming harder.  Guess what started happening as I watched.

I called my boss and he said he would try to get some help when the weather cleared.  I was on my own until then.  I cleared the DVD’s off the shelf and dried them off as things got worse.  I was panicking.  Then ‘genius’ struck when my mind wandered to the idea of a water slide.  Stay with me people.

Take a long, deep bucket used for mopping the floors and a big trash bag.  Cut down the sides of the trash bag until you have a long piece of plastic.  Use packing tape to connect the plastic to the top of the shelving unit and the bucket on the floor.  Watch the water flow into the bucket and the few customers you have stare at the ingenuity like it’s modern art. I even got some applause.

I admit that I was proud of this and sorry I never took a picture.  The look on the next shift’s face when they saw it was priceless.

38 Responses to Charles Versus Leaky Ceiling

1. MishaBurnett says:

Man, I wish there were more managers like you. It amazes me how people will just sit back and let a leak run its course, soaking everything underneath it, because they didn’t think it was their job to do anything.

• I never understood that mentality. If a person is in charge then they should have to at least make an attempt to fix it. Though if it was over the shelving unit that had ‘The Notebook’ on it, I might have moved a little slower.

2. Green Embers says:

Okay, that is brilliant actually. Good thinking there.

• Green Embers says:

Oh and I know Hollywood Video, lol. It’s amazing how fast Redbox killed it.

• It wasn’t Redbox that killed it. Hollywood Video was about to be bought by Blockbuster, so they merged with Movie Gallery. Then they made some horrendous business decisions and took themselves out. They were crippled long before Redbox got a solid hold on the market.

• MishaBurnett says:

There used to be a Hollywood video and a Blockbuster across from each other near where I lived, and they closed within a few months of each other. The technology changed. Once I got streaming television via Roku, I didn’t have to leave the house to get movies anymore.

• Green Embers says:

Yup, it was a good old one two punch between Netflix and Redbox… Blockbuster and Hollywood just couldn’t compete. It’s a good example of not being very forward thinking in business.

Since several of you are writers I could see the big publishers going the way of the dodo if they aren’t careful. Soon there will be one big publisher… and I am afraid it will be Amazon. I actually think that is kind of scary.

• I think big publishing has a better of surviving because of contacts and people still wanting to go that route. They do eBook publishing for their authors, but the pricing is ridiculous. That where they are going to get hurt.

• That’s what killed it. I’m glad I got out of it before the stores actually closed. Not sure what happened to those movies. They only sold the crappy ones when they closed up.

• Thank. I was surprised how often I needed to think on my feet. Wish it worked out well when a fully grown crane wandered into the store. The bird, not the construction vehicle.

3. Bastet says:

You are a genius…no doubt about it! Now…I just saw the full grown crane wandering into the store…what happened?

4. I read this as it just started to pour here. We have periods of sun mixed with showers. It’s been doing that for days. I feel like I’m in Florida.

5. prayingforoneday says:

Genius 🙂
    We had Hollywood video here also..didn’t last long. In-fact because if Pirating movies, the entire industry has almost gone under here.

Round of applause for your idea 🙂
    I would have just ran away lol

That’s really funny. You handled that very well! I had a water pipe rupture over a patient’s bed once…got him and his bed out of the room, but didn’t handle it so well. Supervisor on duty that night acted like it was more important to mop up the water than to move the two patients in that room to safety. We disagreed. What was the point of mopping up water on a floor when it was still pouring out of the ceiling? Why should the patients be expected to lay there in it while we mop? Some people are just plain dumb.

7. ioniamartin says:

My roof leaks. It just rained.

8. Tuan Ho says:

That’s the kind ingenuity I bow down to. Brilliant.

* bows down to Charles * 🙂

9. Sahm King says:

Charles, AWESOME! I’m sitting here picturing this, and I want to applaud just thinking about it.

10. keladelaide says:

The applause was well deserved.