Trick of the Eyes

I’ve been working on a story and character for a while now, but there’s something different about her.  Freya Arvanti is a half-elven warrior with a magic spear that was used by her deceased father.  Her town is turned to glass by a demon and she goes off with either one or a handful of survivors to awaken the Zodiac Gods whose power sealed the demon in the first place.  Sadly, it was at the cost of their bodies.  She is strong, determined, stubborn, and kind even though she is seen as an outcast by most of the other children.

She’s also blind.

That’s where things get sticky.  I’ve been obsessed with having a blind hero since college.  Not like Daredevil who has radar sense, but someone who has no sight.  Freya works entirely by her other senses like the classic blind swordsman.  I wrote a few test scenes with her and got used to her not reacting by sight.  I had to make sure there was a sound or a gust of wind that she could react to.  I probably cheat here by giving her superior hearing due to her elven blood.  Yet, I don’t think it takes away from her too much, but I always get nervous about writing her.  And next week could see me returning to her story once I’m done with Darwin.  I’m still not sure if I want her to have a solitary book, a duet, or a trilogy.  If I go for duet or trilogy, the first book would be a collection of short stories with Freya the focus of one.  Then, she shares the spotlight with the survivors in the following books.

So, has anyone ever written a character with a missing sense?  Mute, blind, deaf, etc.  If so, how did it go?

This entry was posted in Character Origins and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Trick of the Eyes

1. Papizilla says:

Reblogged this on The Ranting Papizilla and commented:
    Charles asks a question here, Authors, could you answer it?

2. ioniamartin says:

I have, but it was only temporary inability to speak. I’ve also had a blind character, but they were a rather unimportant secondary character. I think what this provides, is an opportunity for the author to explore writing using other senses. The most prevalent senses writers use to describe their characters worlds are sights, followed by sounds, followed by scent. We tend to forget the power of describing touch and taste. If the character does not have the ability to use one of the more common senses this may offer an opportunity to strengthen your writing through use of less common descriptions, or even create an ethereal sense that we are not blessed with. Such as, the ability for a blind character to dream in vibrant color, or to go into a trance and “listen” when they can’t hear. Coffee. I need coffee.

• I have a secondary character in book 3 who is blind, but Freya would bring it to another level. Good points about other senses. We are very visual creatures, so tell a story with a focus more on touch and sound would be a challenge.

3. Gwen Bristol says:

My first try ever at a novel (about twelve years ago) I tried to have a mute hero. It didn’t work out so well. 🙂

• You’re a lot braver than me. I don’t even know where I would start with that unless there’s a supporting character who acts as the hero’s voice. I guess you could have the hero speak through telepathy, but that’s kind of cheating.

• Gwen Bristol says:

It’s been so long I really don’t remember how I handled that. I think in the very beginning, there was a lot of dialogue going on around the main character, but I don’t know if it was effective at all.

• Maybe a lot of sign language.

• Gwen Bristol says:

That would be so hard to write about! Can you imagine? 🙂

I’m looking forward to seeing how you do the blind thing. It sounds pretty cool.

• I have a secondary character in the third book who is blind, but doing it with a main hero will be a challenge. I still need to decide on a single book, duet, or trilogy for her.

4. Ace! Loving these origins, great idea. Love the name Freya, it was the girls name I chose for my firstborn (who turned out to be a boy, I was very drunk most of the time then – i don’t drink now).