So . . . Nothing’s Changed?

I’m at 24 hours being published and the excited has come down to me realizing that not much has changed.  The same distractions are around and the same stress is here.  I’ve done all I can think of to promote the book.  All I have left is to submit to Goodkindles tomorrow morning and the convention in late April.  I’ve contacted other authors to trade book reviews, book reviewers to see if they’re interested, and all the other things that I’m sure I’ve listed like a broken record.

Still, nothing is really different for my day.  Getting ‘239’ views on my blog was great, but I don’t think that’s going to repeat any time soon.  Hopefully, I can finish editing chapter 5 of my book today.  I didn’t get very far yesterday because of exhaustion.  So, again I wonder what to do.  Maybe I grew too used to the fast-pace and attention that invaded my life the last two days.  It’s hard to calm down after this even though there isn’t much to do.

37 Responses to So . . . Nothing’s Changed?

1. Echo says:

Well one thing has changed 🙂 You’ve gone from following a dream to realising it , and that’s something special.. and you are a published author! Feels weird, doesn’t it?
    If I have to go to Datura’s website, it still seems really odd to see the book up there amongst some of Big Names of the genre. meanwhile it is onwards and upwards and on to the next chapter… 🙂

Congratulations, Charles.

• slepsnor says:

Thanks. I guess I expected the excitement to last longer or there to be a longer rush of chaos. I just looked and I sold 13 copies, which might not be entirely made up of friends and family. 🙂 It’s going to be interesting if book 2 comes out in a month and everything explodes again. Until then I guess I keep writing.

• Echo says:

Hey at least you have folks to celebrate with 🙂 I sat here on my own hundreds of miles from friends, never even having met my co-author yet… twiddling my thumbs and feeling very odd 🙂

13 copies so far is very respectable! Even if it were 13000, you’d still keep writing 🙂

• slepsnor says:

Most of the celebrating was through computer. Most of the people physically around me are rather nonchalant about the whole thing. More concerned with me not getting ‘carried away’ than the milestone. It’s just how they are. Though the 3-year-old is excited, but I think that’s more because he’s been taught how to talk like a pirate.
        I’m happy with 13 for now. I’m hoping not to get my hopes up too high because (as I keep getting told) the first book rarely sells well. Thankfully, I’ve got 2 and 3 in the cover art stages and 4 is in the editing stage. So, I’m ahead if I think about it.

• Echo says:

Goodness, that’s organised!
        I have a feeling though that with writers it is probably always that way. A painting or a piece of music has its impact immediately.. we have to wait for things to be bought, read, digested and hopefully reviewed and recommended!
        But sometimes the writing of it is what matters.

• slepsnor says:

You’re probably right. Starting out will make a big splash, but quickly fade. Once I have 2-3 books on there, it might start building up some momentum. It’s the reviews that I’m waiting on and hoping for now. One review can net a few new readers. I know I have one friend who is waiting for the paperback because he wants to buy the more expensive one and he’s an infamous Amazon reviewer. He’s also the guy who played Nimby in the game, so he has an interesting insight into the book.

• Echo says:

I prefer hard copies myself, I have to say.. and review for a few folk.I await a new one any day. fantasy too, which is my favourite fiction anyway.

• slepsnor says:

I prefer hard copies too, which is why I made sure to have a paperback option. It’s 8.5 x 11, but that was the only way to make the book for $10 instead of $20. I’ll be making that announcement once it’s available. As an author, the e-books are a great way to publish and reach the more tech-savvy generations.

• Echo says:

They are and I have a feeling more and more will go that way. I use a Kindle myself.. and (mutters and blushes quietly) even have the app on the phone so I can read anywhere.I can’t carry a library any other way when I’m on the road. And I suppose it is also more eco friendly… but they don’t smell the same…

• slepsnor says:

I still need to buy a Kindle, but I think my sister and parents plan to go in on one for my birthday in April. I just need one that holds books and lets me read. When I read, I don’t want anything else to tempt me. Maybe a music player, but that’s it.

I agree about the smell, so I visit the library to take in a big whiff of book smell. Though, it’s best to do this when alone and don’t smell the librarians. They get startled so easily. 😉

• Echo says:

Librarians are a fragile breed, I admit.
        I gave up on my local library.. way too small. The huge oak shelves of the Victorian libraries I grew up with in the north sort of spoiled me.
        So I have wall to wall books here instead… that’s my excuse anyway 🙂
        I have the basic kindle… I traipse a laptop with me anyway if I’m going away for any reason. It is more than enough.. and you wouldn’t believe the number of free classics and odd rarities there are out there!

• slepsnor says:

I’ll have to look for them. I admit to not being much of a reader because I tend to him a pen in hand and my nose in a notebook.

The local libraries here have a digital library, which keeps them current and techno-cool.

• Echo says:

They probably do here now… but I am not going. It is all beech and fluorescent lights…
        I don’t get much time to read these days.. constantly writing or painting for the school. But do have a look.. so many impossible to find old books, as well as the classics.

2. Congratulations – where do I find the details? And whatever you may think something has changed…you’re not the guy you were pre-publication it’s as simple as that…and I don’t mean the gnawed fingernails, grey hairs and furrows on your face 🙂 Best of luck and I’m willing those sales figures to shoot up.

• slepsnor says:

Thanks. Though, I wish it was grey hairs. The things are simply falling out, but that might also be caused by the toddler. My book can be found here:

I also have a store on my website that people can reblog or share. I’ll be happy with 100 copies sold by the middle of March. I’m getting a feeling that this is going to be a slow burn and launch by the time the 3rd book is released.

3. dental eggs says:

Will you promise to keep visiting my site when you’re famous? 😉

4. CheriSpeak says:

When you are a writer, there is always more to write 😉

5. tyroper says:

You let your horse run in the race yesterday. It’s hard to know when to stop training the horse for the race and let them race. You made that courageous decision yesterday. Stand tall.

6. bvedsted says:

Thank you for following my blog: http://whenibecameanauthor.wordpress.com/ I really appreciate it! Your story sounds fantastic, great job! And I know how you feel, after you’ve blogged, done social media, got the word out about your book, and then…nothing happens. It is a feeling that only writers can experience, I believe. But I’m hopeful that there is going to be a feeling so amazing when you reach your goal, that you’ll look back on your days of uncertainty and just smile. At least, that’s what I’m shooting for!!!

• slepsnor says:

Thanks and you’re welcome. I’m thinking my books are going to have more a slow rise than a sudden eruption. I’ve been told that the benefit of a series is that I can dropped the first book to free and it should help sell the others. I’m starting to learn patience . . . after 12+ years, which doesn’t say much about my learning curve. Knowing me, I’ll probably just go back to editing book 4 by tomorrow afternoon. The last few chapters have revolved around my high-energy gypsy character and I simply haven’t had the energy to keep up with her. 🙂

• bvedsted says:

Well, good luck with book 4 and that high-energy gypsy! lol

• slepsnor says:

Thanks. If you follow my bog, you’ll quickly get the picture that I tend to interact very personally with my characters. My wife actually waits for me to get in an argument with them and then stops what she’s doing to watch. One time she actually had popcorn ready.

7. Hey man, things have changed. You’ve released your book! People are reading it, and they’ll enjoy it. I just bought it for my Kindle. I’ll post a review soon! Best of luck