Let Authors Be Merry . . . Seriously, Stop Making Us Cry

Be Merry!

Here we are and I’ve run into a bit of a quandary.  Also, I’m not sure I spelled that work correctly.  I’ve been sitting here wondering how to tackle this topic.  I know what makes me happy outside of writing.  Spending time with my son, jigsaw puzzles, zoos, manga, anime, Legos, tickle fights, and pizza.  Tried diving into each one to explain why, but that fell flat.  Took me a while, but now I know why:

“Every person has different things that make them happy and they can’t always explain why.”

Seriously, these are things that help us relax and shrug off the tension that has built up over time.  Maybe it’s a reward for a good job or just powering down before bed.  Maybe it’s something you saved your energy up for because it’s exciting.  What attracts you to these things might not be easily explained since it’s so emotional?  I’ve tried to explain my love of jigsaw puzzles to people and they don’t always get it.  I find them relaxing, but other people thing they’re childish.  Same with Legos, manga, anime . . . I think spending time with my son is the only activity that is treated with any respect there.  People are just so judge-y.

Now, I could keep rambling or I could open the floor.  What makes you happy and draws you into a sense of merriment?  No need to explain if you don’t want to.  Just declare your love of whatever.

This entry was posted in Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Let Authors Be Merry . . . Seriously, Stop Making Us Cry

1. Darlene says:

Many things make me happy but here are a few of the top of my head – my dog, my family, the beach, sunny days, reading, writing, music, chatting with a friend, new shoes, baking, tea and chocolate. If something makes you happy, and it’s legal, just do it!

2. I have a pretty long list. I think the thing that makes me the happiest is to see the family and pets all thrive and enjoy life. Besides that, there’s wine, music, sunrise, sunset, stars, moon and a great dinner. Oh yeah, a scene that works. Good post, Charles. reminds us of happiness.

Liked by 2 people

3. kevin cooper says:

Sounds like you have just as much fun outside of writing, Charles!

4. Cartoons, Disney movies, bubble baths, reading, cups of tea, Playing or cuddling with the furkids, and listening to the sounds of the ocean in its various moods.

5. Great topic! I have a big list, as well, but I think the most important one is DH. He makes me smile even on my worst days. Sunday is our 35th anniversary, and I thank God every day for bringing us together.

Liked by 2 people

I am really enjoying your posts, Charles. Like those who commented, I enjoy a variety of things. When I am stressed, I might do a number of things to relax: pray, crochet, watching Netflix shows like THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW (so soothing), watch YouTube, play a video game, take a walk, go a movie with a friend or alone, cloud watch, read a book, or draw. I enjoy hanging out with friends and family. I love movies! Grew up watching kung fu or Godzilla movies on Saturdays, so I love them. Love Miyazaki films. People might judge that, but I don’t care.

7. Where to begin? Writing, reading, crosswords, cross stitch, meditating, out of body experiences, sitting alone in old cemeteries, drawing, graphic design, my cats, the smell of rain, clean sheets, fresh bread, archaeology, thinking about time and infinity. I’ll stop now, lol.

8. Pet a cat, read a book, spruce my garden… the usual.

9. Staci Troilo says:

I didn’t realize people think jigsaw puzzles are childish. I love them.

It’s been so long since I did anything just for me, I’m not even sure what to include on my list. Maybe I need to work on that.

10. Music, comedy, Pearly Greyhound, swimming, long hot summers with no wind or rain. We don’t often get the last one here!

11. Renee says:

Well writing, most definitely. I also love watching movies, reading, playing with my cats, watching YouTube with my daughter, playing board games, and lots of other stuff I can’t think of right now.

The only reason I can give for why I love doing these things is “I just do”.

😀

12. David Davis says:

We would still have jigsaw puzzles except that the cats won’t accept competition for our attention.

13. David Davis says:

The cats are steadfast.

14. I enjoy all kinds of things, and people are judgmental about some of it. I grew up hunting and fishing, and still enjoy the occasional trip. Mostly it’s just camping now and we leave the paraphernalia at home. Love the dogs, my family, writing, films…. It’s a big list. I’m trying to catch up on all I missed while out camping.