At least at the writing of this post, people are liking the idea of doing a collection of Ichabod Brooks short stories. I’m away until tonight, so I don’t know if things changed and a bunch of people swooped in to boo the idea. If so then tell my family to stop fixing the polls. (Joking!) Figure 10-12 at 30-35 pages would work. Leaning more toward the 10 than the 12.
There are still a few questions I have to find answers to in regards to Ichabod:
- Do I keep ‘Ichabod Brooks and the City of Beasts’ as a 99 cent intro or unpublish that to make it the lead to the overall book? Doesn’t really sell any more, but who knows what will happen? Wondering if I can mention it in the blurb of the collection.
- Do I remove ‘Ichabod Brooks and The Starwind Egg’ from the blog and put it into the collection? I’m leaning toward yes here since people liked it and it would simply be left in limbo. This also means I have only 9-11 stories to go. 8-10 if I put ‘City of Beasts’ into it too.
- What do I do about cover art? The first had 99designs, which might be where I go this time too. Money is an issue here.
- Do I try to release it next summer? This is possible even if I take January to set up stuff for ‘War of Nightfall’ and the next ‘Dawn’ story. An Ichabod story takes maybe 3-5 days to write. Editing isn’t much longer and I’d have to really do that this time. On the other hand, I could have this in reserve for 2018 when I’m not sure if I’ll have the vampires or a 3rd Bedlam book ready.
- What do I call this collection? ‘The Adventures of Ichabod Brooks’? ‘The Chronicles of Ichabod Brooks’? Not sure yet, but part of me wants to play it off Ichabod’s dislike of bards who embellish his adventures. Many ‘The Real Adventures of Ichabod Brooks’? I was thinking of an amusing subtitle like ‘Some bards were bruised in the chronicling of these tales’ or maybe put that in the blurb.
Right now, I’m thinking of playing this by ear. 2017 is the last year of Legends of Windemere and I have another ‘Bedlam’ book coming out. Not to mention the looming specter of ‘quit and get a real job’ that seems to make a bi-weekly appointment with me at the worst possible moments.
Finally, a REALLY BIG THANKS for everyone who voted. I really appreciate it. If you didn’t get to vote then feel free to go: