Alive and Ranked

First a distraction: Drinking PrinceSecond is good news for Prodigy of Rainbow Tower:

Third is to explain:

Thank you to Green Embers for the dedication and to Ionia for rallying the positive energy.  I’m home now after an afternoon/evening in the ER.  Basically, my stomach pain came back with an unholy vengeance.  It’s stress-based and I was home alone with the toddler.  Needless to say it isn’t fun being on the floor whimpering and crying in severe pain while your four-year-old son pats you on the head.  He also thought I said paints at one point and brought me his paints.  Then he tried to make me feel better by pretending to have pain in his tummy.  Finally son note, I managed to stand up and got a ‘Daddy stood up!  Hurray for daddy!’ from him.

I called the doctor and it ended up being a trip to the ER as soon as my son had someone to watch him and I had a ride.  I did start feeling better at this point, which proves that this is stress.  My pain was at 5 by the time they let me in, but my blood pressure was at the point of insanity.  So, they had to IV me and keep an eye on me.  Long story short:

It has all the signs of spastic colon with stress-induced muscle spasms.  It doesn’t even take much stress to take me down.  It’s prolonged stress it seems.  After all, the first attack was when Beginning of a Hero debuted and the previous ones happened soon after I had three days of stress.  Unfortunately, the ER doctors can’t do anything without a diagnosis and I don’t see a specialist until the 22nd.  So, I have a long month ahead of me unless I can get in earlier.

What can I do?  Stop obsessing about the rankings and simply be happy that I’m selling books.  I do my morning/noon/evening tweets and Facebook posts.  Then I do my editing.  I’m going to be taking it easy tomorrow, so I’ll be around, but might not be as active.  I see a bunch of napping in my future.  Though, the iPhone might help here.

Thanks to everyone that cares and I’m home now.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Alive and Ranked

1. Green Embers says:

Get plenty of rest Charles! Your plan sounds really good! Watch some TV, maybe a dumb talk show or something inane.

2. kingmidget says:

Take it easy, young man. Your book is doing great. Your doing better. And that kid of yours … out of this world!

• Thanks. I definitely have to take it easy. Tomorrow will be a start of recovery. Stupid thing here: I ‘celebrated’ the release of my first book by breaking a wisdom tooth on a piece of popcorn. Now, I ‘celebrated’ the release of my second book with a trip to the ER.

• kingmidget says:

You may want to stay away from a third book. 😉

• It’s already written and in beta reading stage. Just need the cover art for it. I think by that point, I’m going to stop caring about the lists. It will be an interesting test to see if I can market a book that starts at $2.99.

We missed you severely. Ionia had to take us all on a camping trip. The color orange was strangely missing from the WordPress palette for hours.

4. First and foremost, rest and take care of yourself. We need you to keep Ionia under control.

5. Feel better soon, Charles (and with a sweet child like that, you have a lot of reasons to smile!).

6. tjtherien says:

take care Charles… Do you know the Serenity prayer…??? gist accept what you can do nothing about… if you can do something about it then do it… know the difference… hope all goes well on the 22nd

• Thanks. I took to standing under a warm shower and repeating the word ‘relax’ over and over again. I do have to learn that Serenity prayer. Sounds useful.

• tjtherien says:

god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
        the courage to change the things I can
        and the wisdom to know the difference…

that’s the Serenity Prayer right there… just use it as a mantra when you are stressing…

• Beats the mantra I was using earlier:

Make this fucking pain go away!
        Please don’t repeat that bad word to your mother.

If only I was joking on that one.

7. ioniamartin says:

I’ve got the flight screen up on my laptop right now. You let me know if anything changes.

8. twixie13 says:

Best of luck with your recovery. Hope you get plenty of rest.

9. Ellespeth says:

Just keep writing. Keep writing because that is an important reason for living for you…not THE REASON…but a blasted important reason TO YOU. Believe in yourself, Charles. All of us do, too. Just write…that’s all I can say. Don’t become sick over this internet age of instant sort of knowing – really not knowing – what your worth as a writer is. It is what it is to YOU. I know that sounds old fashioned and corny 🙂 But I do believe it’s true. Just write and love writing.
    Ellespeth

• That’s the plan. Just need to take things more in stride and get stuff settled. I tend to have bad luck. For example, I was promised Subway sandwich when I got out of the hospital. They were out of meatballs, which is the only sub I like. See? I just couldn’t win today. 🙂

10. Ellespeth says:

Oh! I forgot to say – 😛 – I’m glad it just seems stress related. You can deal with that. I was very worried.
    Ellespeth

11. howanxious says:

Take care! I hope you feel better soon. And do not be stressed about your books. I will be looking forward to your updates regarding your health.

12. Rosie Amber says:

I think you just self diagnosed, chill Charles and let the universe do its thing.

13. Olivia Stocum says:

Take care of yourself!

14. Seán Cooke says:

My girlfriend gets terrible pains too and they’re sometimes stress-related, although not always. From seeing her in pain on a daily basis and seeing what helps her push through them, you’re very lucky to have such an adorable kid with you!

Take it easy and do some googling on what they think it is and how to reduce the problem yourself. We discovered that less Coke and less wheat products lessen her pains for some reason. Also, you could get some stress balls for when the pains strike, squeezing them within an inch of their lives can help deal with the really bad pain spells. I found her one that is one of the Pacman ghosts, so you can definitely find mildly amusing ones!

Take it easy for now and let your body settle back down, the blogging world will be waiting patiently for your inevitable return. 🙂

• I did my research and tried the stress balls. The problem is that it starts soft and I try to cut it off with a warm shower and rest. Unfortunately, the moment I get out of the shower, I’m bombarded by the chaotic home life. Yesterday was really bad because I was home alone with my son and he was acting up. So, there was no way to get out of the situation. Then I went down and he got involved.

With it being stress and pain, it’s a horrible cycle until something snaps. The stress causes pain, which causes more stress, which causes more pain, etc. I’m glad it’s over and hope I don’t get a repeat.

15. Hope you feel better.

16. Feel better friend, its just too bad you can’t get in to see a specialist any sooner, no one should have to suffer like that. Are you still exercising regularly, I know you had been, maybe that would help relieve some of the stress. Any I hope that you get back on your feet soon. 🙂

17. Take it easy Charles. Relax and have a rest. Stress is a killer.

• It really is. Doing good so far today. Not getting much done, but no pain. Won’t hear from the doctor until tomorrow, so I’ll have to wait and see.

Not obsessing about the lists and trying to take the approach of ‘toss marketing out and walk off’ is helping. Need to do another round of Facebook posts soon.

18. Awesome news about the rankings. In addition to the rankings you listed you are #54 in Fantasy Hot New Releases.

All of this should help ease your ills.

19. 1WriteWay says:

Elsewhere I’ve commented that I hope you’re feeling better. Stress-related illnesses are vicious and they put you into a seemingly endless loop. I’m sorry to hear you’ve had IBS. How can you not get stressed with you have a stress-related condition? I hope they don’t find anything that can’t be resolved with some good drugs 🙂

20. 1WriteWay says:

And your son is adorable … although I’m sure his adorableness varies depending on his mood 😉